Special Chapter 3

A/N: Song "100 Letters," by Halsey.

The door to the dungeons creaked open. Alpha Tobias' men walked in, and, without much of a glance in my direction, they administered Alexander the wolfsbane shot. I just lied on the floor staring at the ceiling. Since I had spent the first half of the day--or night--either sitting on the cold hard ground or pacing in the cell like a caged tiger, my butt and legs were wholeheartedly thanking me for being in this position.

The process was the same as yesterday and the day before, and the one before that. They would point a pistol, which I assume was loaded with silver bullets, at me and Alexander would willingly extend his arm through the bars without much of a complaint. They would give him the shot and go their way.

The woman, which I had by now discovered was called Veronica, would come after them to bring us a basket with food. Then, we would be left alone again for hours. How could we be the only two prisoners in here?

As in cue, Veronica walked in a dumped the basket inside my cell. She didn't bother pointing the gun at me anymore. But, now that my hearing was getting better, the sound of the warriors just outside the door was clear. If I tried to jump on her, two things could happen. 

First, my self-defense training, although lethal for humans, would prove itself useless against a werewolf like her. My wolf recognized that she was much stronger than she seemed--a Luna she had guessed. Judging by her scent, it made sense, but it was ridiculous. Why would the Alpha allow his Luna to come down here to this revolting place?

Second, even if I caught her by surprise in some stroke of luck, the warriors outside would handle my ass in the most sickening ways. Considering the high probability that she was the Luna of this pack or that she was at least related to the Alpha, I wouldn't dare even raise my voice to her. Nope, I might be borderline nihilistic, but I still have some self-preservation instincts.

I sighed and sat up, threw Alexander his food and started eating mine. Today we got cream cheese for our bagels. If I ever got out of here, I would steer away from bagels for the rest of my life, and probably from doughnuts as well, just to be sure. 

They knew that I was sharing food with Alexander, but instead of reprimanding me, they gave me even more food. I was tired of trying to guess their motives for this whole thing. Maybe they wanted to make Alexander more compliant. That would be a huge violation of my human rights. I looked around. Do human rights even exist in the werewolf world?

If the human government locked away some criminal's ex-wife or family just to manipulate the prisoner, it would be a worldwide scandal. Yet, things worse than what I was living now happened on a daily basis in the werewolf world, and no one batted an eye. 

I should be happy that I was getting food and that I wasn't being whipped like other prisoners, some would say. I bit into my bagel. Yeah, I was ecstatic.

Maybe, I had spent too much time living as a human, far away from all that mate drama, but curiously enough, close to the rogue drama. When I walked down the crowded streets of some large city independent of any pack, no rogue would dare look my way--not when Emmeline was in my arms. They always showed their best facades.

I, on the other hand, listened to their stories over tea and coffee, sometimes with cookies. My life had lost meaning long ago, so it wouldn't have mattered if they hurt me. That was what I had told myself. 

Truth to be told, I had been lonely. We moved around too often--for security reasons, Salvador had said, but never nothing concrete. It wasn't my place to ask. Our arrangement had allowed me to do and get most of the things I wanted--things that the salary of a normal nanny could never afford.