Chapter 92: Chloe

Anna

I shifted my weight anxiously. I couldn't focus on the words being told to me. Caleb kept explaining in detail the state of the pack while showing me graphs and excel documents on his computer. I was glad he is organized, but the way he talked was unnerving. Everything is either effective or efficient. It was as if we were talking about a big motor controlled by a PLC machine. There is no love behind his words. Trust me, I'm an engineer.

I leaned back in the chair and glanced through the office window. Besides the warriors that welcomed us, I hadn't seen other people on the streets, which was weird. I smiled when I noticed some kids playing outside. Caleb must have noticed because he went silent and looked at me and then at the window. Soon, a woman went and took the children inside of a house.

I frowned. "You did that?"

"They are not allowed out this time." He stared at me and then leaned against his chair.

"It is four o' clock." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"They can play outside from 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM. That is when pack warriors can protect them. At this time, the warriors are all protecting the borders."

"You said that you have cameras and all that."

"There is a reason why this is the only pack the group of rogues doesn't dare get near to." His tone was colder and it even had a hint of animosity to it. "Did you even listen to anything I've been saying?"

I wanted to roll my eyes at the condescending way he was talking to me but held myself back. I need all the facts before talking. "Yes. I have heard everything. Can we walk around the pack tomorrow? I want to see how everything is now." I smiled, or at least I think it looked like that.

"Of course. Hopefully, you will be the Luna of this pack someday."

I looked back at the window, averting my gaze from him as the message the council had sent me replayed in my head. There soft knock on the door before it was opened slowly. The lump in my throat loosened and I turned to see the person, which literally jumped in surprise.

"Oh, Anna. You are here. I'm so glad you are okay." He gave me a sheepish smile.

I didn't bother answer Samuel's greeting and my eyes fell back on my mate. I hope you are happy now; That is what he told me in one of the most painful moments of my life. I used to think that he was on my side. He had said so himself, but he also fell for Chris' schemes.

He proceeded to give Caleb an exact accounting of how much resources had been spent during his absence. He pulled up some files in Caleb's computer. Oh, great more graphs.

"What do you mean half of my warriors spent the time I was away resting? The time I am away is when the pack is the most vulnerable." 

I winced. Caleb was yelling now.

"With all due respect Alpha, you gave double shifts to everyone and took two extra days more than planned. Some of the warriors worked for forty-eight hours straight. We couldn't keep it like that. So, I let some of them rest while others covered the shifts."

"It seems like the training plan is still lacking, then."

Samuel opened and closed his mouth before lowering his head. "Yes, Alpha."

What the heck? I guess the rumors are true. I stood up from the chair. "Caleb?"

His eyes softened and he smiled. "Yes, beautiful?"

"Do you have any room available for me?"

His happy expression disappeared and an angry frown formed on his face. "Aren't you going to sleep with me?"