Chapter 99: The Phone Call

A/N: Song "You Are The Reason (Duet Version)," by Calum Scott and Leona Lewis.

Anna

A week later,

"Caleb! Wake up!"

Why the heck was Caleb such a heavy sleeper? I kept shaking him until his eyes flew open.

He jumped out of the bed and looked around. "There's no one else here, and... it's 3:47 AM. We went to sleep like half an hour ago. What happens?"

"Aiden found his mate! Oh my God! I'm so happy." My son finally had found his other half. We ought to celebrate, right now!

"Oh, yay... I'll go back to sleep." Caleb lied down on the bed and covered himself with the blanket. 

I hit him with a pillow. "Could you at least pretend that you're excited?"

"Woohoo?" He covered his face with the blanket now. 

Ugh! I swear this guy... Is this the support I get from my mate? My heart hurts.

"Not good enough..." I pulled his blanket down.

Caleb groaned, but opened his eyes and smiled sweetly. "I can feel your happiness. It's enough for the both of us. Go back to sleep, my dearest. You must be exhausted after everything we did last night."

Everything... Flashes of how we had spent the night in the new room invaded my mind. Shh... Deep breaths. Ignore Caleb's shit-eating grin.

"I'm so excited that I don't think I can go back to sleep. I need details but I don't want to interrupt him. He texted me: I just met my mate. He accepted me. They must be together right now! I don't know anything about him!"

Caleb chuckled and extended his arms. "Come here." 

I lied down, resting my head on his shoulder and my hand on his bare chest. This tranquility that he gives me is more effective than chamomile tea. Being like this with him is more than what I've ever asked for. He turned his head and softly kissed the top of my head.

Gazing into his eyes was one of my favorite activities now. It was relaxing but almost torturous as we both pushed back the impulse to jump each other's bones. He leaned down and our lips met in an almost desperate kiss. Also, his self-control was pretty lacking, to be honest. The caress of his skin against mine was enough to have me itching for more. However, even being werewolves, we were both too exhausted to continue, and I was still sore.

He pulled away grinning and we went back to gaze into each other's eyes. 

"Did you get this happy when you found out that we're mates?"

And, he had to open that mouth of his. I shielded my thoughts. Let's see, if I remember correctly the first thing I thought was something like 'oh, shit.' My heart did race when he said that he liked my perfume, but then that night... Yeah, right. Happiness is not the first feeling that comes to my mind when I think of that fated day. In fact, how dare he ask that? This boy was such a dirty cheap-ass whore, and--

"Anna? You okay?" Caleb caressed my cheek. His voice was soft and soothing. "Were you excited?" 

"I think the word 'agitated' would describe it a little bit better."