Chapter 90: Sweet

A/N: Song "Say You Love Me," by Jessie Ware. 

Once you dislike a person, you will dislike her no matter what she does. "Look at that bitch eating cookies as if she owns the fucking place."

Caleb

Anna opened the door and pulled me into the room before closing and locking the door. She didn't sit down on the couch like last time, instead, she stood in front of me watching me with an unreadable expression. I sat on the bed, so I wouldn't be towering over her.

"Anna, sorry is not enough to begin to explain how I feel for not being there for you, for not saving you. I am your mate, I should have-"

She put her open hand in front of my face. "Don't."

"What?"

She lowered her hand and looked at me with soft eyes. "Don't apologize for things that aren't your fault. I thought that you had never tried to look for me. I didn't know that you had called my pack. My father took my cellphone away and never told me anything, but I can imagine what he told you. Also, there was no way you could know that I needed saving."

"But I promised you that you would never be hurt and I failed that promise."

"You did, but not because you didn't save me. I don't blame you for not being a fortune teller. You failed that promise because you didn't give me chance to explain things to you and outright rejected me as if being soul-mates meant nothing to you. Look, I know I am not a sweet person."

What? "Anna. That isn't –"

"Let me talk, please... I know I am not a sweet person. I can be moody, childish, petty and sometimes a straight-out bitch. Most of the time, if not always, I am not a likable girl."

"Anna." I reached for her hand but she pushed my hand away.

"Please, let me finish. I feel that I make more wrongs than rights. I try to be strong and treat everyone right, but I make mistakes - lots of them. However, not even once, after everything you did for me -all the flowers, the love notes, just the way you looked at me, I believed for one second that you would reject me like that, without even listening to my version of the story."

"I am sorry."

She looked at me with an annoyed expression. Then, she scoffed and began pacing back and for with her arms swinging wildly as she talked. "You are sorry. I don't need you to be sorry! I need to know that I can trust you! I was dying that day! you know? It wasn't just that I was weak. I had internal bleeding, my internal organs weren't even functioning correctly and my body couldn't heal itself because I had been poisoned with wolfsbane."

I reached for her again and got a hold of her waist. I gazed into her beautiful dark eyes as I pulled her closer to me until I could feel her warmness against my body. "I didn't know that." I kept my arms wrapped around her waist.

She averted her gaze. Her previously angry voice was now more like a murmur. "It wasn't your fault anyway. I just wish you had listened to me. Right after you rejected me, I went to the hospital. The human doctor told me that I was basically a living dead and that I should go home to spend the rest of my time with my loved ones."

"I made terrible mistakes that day. I am not that person anymore." I tightened the hug and she hugged me back, but then pulled away. I let go of her and she took some steps back.

My wolf whimpered at the increasing distance between us and the look on my mate's face.

"My brother wanted to bring me straight to our pack's hospital, but you know what I did instead? I went to talk to you because I couldn't just leave like that. But, you... You were about to fuck another girl." Her lower lip was quivering and I could see the betrayal in her expression. "So much for being my faithful soul-mate. I lived through the pain of rejection once and I don't intend to go through it again. After you shattered our bond and my heart, it felt as if I had been thrown into an abyss of pain."