Chapter 64: Hero - Part 1

Anna

The night had slipped away. How long had it been since the last time I felt like this? Have I ever feel this way before? This is a new beginning, right? Why does it feel more like the end? The end of everything I was used to and the end of everything I had hoped for. So many events had led to this point of my life and I was honestly terrified of what is yet to come.

When the alert was given, I could not help but smile. This is what I had been waiting for. I ran toward the door. Everyone followed behind. The deafening booming soon started and fireworks adorned the sky - Some of them whirling in spirals, some others shattering into thousands of sparks, others tumbling like a colorful waterfall or float in a glittering silver shower. Brilliant hues of blue, red, yellow and every color in between sparkled in the night sky as short-lived stars.

I looked around me. I was surrounded by my family, my whole family. Almost the entire pack was celebrating New Year's Eve at the pack house. Even my human parents were here along with the Alpha family. I wished everyone a happy new year with a wide smile on my face. So, this is what Alex was talking about, my family. As long as I am with them, I have a purpose. I can be happy.

The evening had been perfect. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. Bliss is how I would describe it; I wish everyday was like this.

I turned to see Matt. Amanda was finally talking to him; They both look happier now. I wish I could at least have that with my mate. Alex was with Elena and they looked like the perfect happy couple, which they are. My parents were in couples, as well. Even Kathe was now talking to Wilder. I hope they get closer. I sighed. I can barely feel the bond now. If we were to meet again, it could recover. But, during the whole time in between, it is just a painful empty feeling.

"Stop frowning!" said Aiden almost tackling me as he hugged me. "I am alone as well. But, look at the bright side: we have sparklers." He broke out in laughter. "Do you get it? Bright side, sparklers?" He gave me one sparkler.

I laughed out loud. "Not enough."

He gave me another sparkler and took two for himself as well.

"Much better," I said.

We lighted them and ran around everyone waving the sparklers in the air like little kids. Once the sparklers had died out, we replaced them with new ones and kept running. We repeated the process several times.

By the time we were done with the sparklers, everyone was going home to rest. I hugged every single member of my family again and got to my room. I took a shower and put on Caleb's hoodie as I do every night. The day they brought my things back was as if I had recovered a small part of myself. His letters and notes, the withered flowers, his hoodie, everything was here now; I felt as if I could surround myself with him.

I was on my bed taking in the scent left in his hoodie. Why hasn't he called me? Matt had said that he was discharged from the hospital this morning. Did he forget about me already? Just the idea of him completely forgetting about me was more painful than all the torture the bastard had subjected me to. I put my cellphone on the bed and proceeded to read the letters again. As I was about to read the second one, commotion and pain slipped through the mind link.

'South-East limit. Rogues everywhere,' someone said.

'South-West limit. Rogues. I had never seen so ma-' The communication was cut and I knew that probably the worst had happened.

We were under attack, just like Wilder's investigation had predicted. I ran out of my room and found Alex and my parents in the hallway.

"Get everyone who cannot fight to the Pack House and stay there," Alex said.