Chapter 89: The Meeting

A/N: Song "Hate To See Your Heart Break," by Paramore and Joy Williams.

Anna

After lunch, we had half an hour to rest before the meeting. To avoid overcrowding, just one member of each pack was allowed to the meeting. I walked into the conference room with Anthony and we sat in the front facing the rows of chairs, which quickly filled with the representatives of each pack. I was nervously reviewing the case files while Anthony sat there looking all confident and almighty.

Soon, it was time for the meeting. I put the files away and straightened up. Each pack representative began exposing their experience with the group of organized rogues. I could feel Caleb's eyes on me, but I did not dare meet his gaze. I am too nervous for that. I don't consider myself shy once I begin talking, but the anticipation makes me so anxious that I could throw up.

Anthony put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a severe look. He mind-linked me. 'What do you call a person in a tree with a briefcase?'

I gave him a confused look. 'What?'

'A branch manager.'

He kept a straight face somehow, but I almost lost it. I covered my mouth with a hand and coughed to cover my laughing lowering my head so my hair would cover my face. This son of a b-

Anthony patted my back while whispering: "Are you okay?"

I calmed down and glared at him. 'Why would you do that?'

'I am tired of telling you that you need to relax for these things. You literally looked like a deer in headlights.' He was using that serious this-is-business tone of his.

I straightened up once again and drowned out all my nervousness. This is my job. I can't freak out each time there is a meeting. I listened to each story even though I had already read all the details in the reports. The fear in their voices was evident. They were looking at us for solutions.

Once everyone presented their story, the room went silent for a moment. Anthony gave me a pointed look indicating me to talk. He always does that, but since he is technically my superior, I still wait for his permission to talk first anyway.

I cleared my throat. "First of all, I would like to extend my condolences to each pack for the lives lost because of this situation. Maddox and I have been following the track of the leader of this group closely and a plan is being formulated as we speak. It has been concluded that the best way to deal with this group is to counter-attack. Former Alpha Han will be in charge of organizing the warriors and lead the squad that will carry out the mission."

One of the Alphas stood up looking clearly pissed off. I know that guy - Alpha Stevens. He is aggressive and selfish. In every meeting, he tries to get the council to give him resources his pack doesn't need. "So, where is former Alpha Han now? You plan to take our warriors to attack some urban legend while the rogues keep on attacking our territories?"

This time Anthony talked. "He is working in something classified. I will report to him as soon as this meeting is over. Also, an urban legend? We can guarantee you that the rogue with the golden fur is real and very dangerous."

"That is what the council said, but no one has really seen him. The council is always keeping secrets."

"As I said, he is extremely dangerous. Once you see him is too late. He can hide his scent and blend into pack territory without being noticed."

We had given the authorities a drawing of him based on one of my father's pictures and reported him only as a wanted human man to avoid having any foolish werewolf trying to fight him directly. He had been seen inside of pack's territories on five occasions, but vanished by the time any council member got there. Anthony and I theorized that just as my father, my uncle most likely can hide his presence from regular werewolves.