Chapter 10

"Abby! Abby, wake up!" a voice said from what felt like a hundred miles away. Abby felt her shoulders being shaken.

Her whole body felt hot and covered in sweat. When her eyes slowly opened, she saw Thomas crouched down over her with Minho, Brenda, and Jorge behind him.

"Hey, are you okay?" Thomas asked.

Abby tried to form an answer in her head, but she felt lost in a confused daze. Like waking up from a really long nap. "I..." she stuttered, "I need some water...please."

Thomas looked to Minho who quickly left and came back with a cup. He handed it to Abby. She gulped it down, the cold water fully waking her up. "What happened?" Abby finally asked. The hot air was starting to get much cooler in the Berg.

Jorge leaned against a wall, his hand pressing flat against it. "You must have passed out because of the heat in here," he explained, "The air conditioning was turned off. This thing heated up like an oven."

"It's a good thing we got here when we did then," Brenda added.

Then, suddenly, it hit Abby. "Newt!" she remembered, "Someone took him, we need to go find him!" She tried to stand up but got dizzy almost immediately. "We need to-" she stopped speaking as she fell back down to the floor.

"What do you mean someone took him?" Minho questioned.

"I don't know who it was, but-"

Thomas interrupted her, "There's a note." He was staring down at the note Newt left with a mixture of sadness and shock on his face. Abby hadn't realized he had picked it up. Thomas looked up at the others, "He said they are taking him to where they keep the Cranks."

"What?" Minho broke in.

"They call it the Crank Palace," Brenda told, "It's not exactly the nicest of places." The room fell silent for a couple of seconds, everyone realizing what had happened.

"How could you let this happen? How could you let them just take him?" Minho demanded of Abby.

"You're not seriously blaming me for this are you?" Abby argued, "Don't you think I am blaming myself enough already? He tried to protect me. I had no idea what was even happening!"

"Okay fine, I believe you," Minho backed off.

"Don't even try to say that I don't care about Newt," Abby warned. It was getting harder and harder not to just shout at everyone. She crossed her arms, staring at the floor.

"Look," Minho sighed, "I'm sorry I accused you of that. But I think you and I can both agree on one thing. And that is how we need to go get Newt more than anything else."

Abby nodded, "You're right. I don't care if I have to go all by myself, I'm going to the Crank Palace or whatever so we can find Newt. I'm not leaving him behind." She didn't know if it would even be possible to find him, but she was going to try her absolute hardest to do so.

"Jorge can fly us there," Brenda put in, looking to Jorge, "Can't you?"

A small grin showed on his lips at the thought of a new challenge. "Of course I can," Jorge said, "Buckle up your seatbelts, we'll be there in no time."

During the flight to the Crank Palace, the only way to get thoughts of Newt off of everyone's mind was to talk about other things. The best option was for Minho and Thomas to explain to Abby what exactly happened while they were in Denver.

"Wait, so you're telling me that Gally is still alive?" Abby quizzed. It didn't seem possible.

"Yeah, he is," Minho said, "And he's part of the Right Arm. You know, the people who are against WICKED."

"And you talked to him?" Abby continued asking questions.

"Yeah," Thomas nodded, "He told us what he knew about WICKED, even though it isn't much. But, the Right Arm knows more. They think WICKED is capturing more immunes. I think we should help the Right Arm as soon as we get Newt."

"Sounds like a good idea," Abby agreed, "Did you guys get the devices in your heads turned off?"

"Yeah, we did," Minho spoke, glancing at Thomas, "Let's just say there was a little bit of a struggle." Abby had no idea what they meant by that but didn't have much time to think about it. It didn't matter anyway.

In a couple of minutes, Jorge came out of the control room with Brenda at his side. "We're here," he announced, "I hope you're all ready." Not like they really had a choice. Newt was the top priority.

As the ramp started to go down, they all saw what the Crank Palace looked like. And even just seeing it from the outside showed exactly how bad the place must be. The walls were made out of old pieces of wood and in front of a metal gate stood two men holding launchers. "They're probably Immunes," Brenda made known, "No one else wants to work here."

It then came to Abby's mind that she was not immune like the rest of them. "What about me?" she asked, "What do I do?"

"Just go with it," Thomas suggested, "And I guess try not to touch anything."

Great advice, Abby thought sarcastically.

Soon, all five of them walked towards the gate. The closer they got, the more and more intimidating the people standing outside seemed. "Who are you?" one of the men questioned.

Thomas spoke up, "We're just looking for someone. We think he got taken here by mistake."

"No one just gets taken here by mistake," the man said.

"Can you help us find him or not?" Minho ordered. He was obviously growing impatient.

"I might be able to," the man lowered his launcher, "What does he or she look like?"

"His name is Newt," Abby put in, "He has blonde hair and dark eyes."

Thomas added, "He's just a little taller than I am."

The man nodded slowly, "I think I might know where he is. But if I can take you there depends on how much you can pay."

They all looked to Jorge. "I'll get you however much you want just as soon as you take us to him," Jorge ended.

"Okay," the man sighed, "Follow me and I would suggest you stay close. 'And remember, if any of your body parts become detached due to unfortunate encounter with a Crank, I highly advise you to leave said body part behind and run like hell. Unless it's a leg, of course.'"

~

I had to use that quote from the book lol. So, thanks to James Dashner for that last line.

Thank you guys for 900+ reads!! It's amazing how close we are to 1k!! And thank all of you for reading:)