Chapter 2

Finally getting a shower and clean clothes actually felt nice and refreshing.

Abby almost felt happy, probably for one of the few times since the earlier days of the maze. Maybe they were finally done with the trials and could get away from WICKED.

However, she still sensed that something wasn't right. It couldn't just be that easy. Especially when you were talking about WICKED.

Abby pulled the lace of her final shoe tight and stood up from the wooden bench near the showers. Her hair was still damp, falling onto her gray t-shirt. She walked over to the door where she had come in and pulled on the handle. It was surprisingly unlocked and swung open. First time ever.

Unfortunately, Janson stood on the other side, leaning against one of the walls of the hallway. He straightened up, seeing Abby.

"Can I see the others now?" Abby asked.

"Yes," he said, "This way."

He led her through the hallways, making a few turns left and right. They soon got to a set of double doors and Abby could hear the mumble of voices coming from the other side.

Janson pulled a door open and Abby took a deep breath, stepping through.

There were rows of seats set up in the large room, plenty of boys from the glade and girls from Group B sitting in them. Abby's eyes scanned past people, seeing Thomas and Teresa talking and Minho near them, until finding Newt.

He was sitting by himself, bent over with his head in his hands. He must have heard the door shut because he looked up and at Abby.

It only took seconds for him to stand up and run over to Abby, embracing her in his arms. Abby hugged him back tightly.

Newt let go a little, his hands on the side of her face, and looked down at her. Abby met his gaze. He looked tired like he hadn't slept recently, and his hair was just slightly messy.

"How are you? Are you okay?" Newt questioned worriedly.

"I'm fine, Newt," Abby concluded, "You?"

"I was about to have a shucking heart attack from worrying so much, but I feel better now that you're here," he half smiled.

Abby pulled him close again, "I had no idea what they were doing to you and it got to me. What did you go through?"

"It doesn't matter," Newt told, his voice sounding a bit troubled, "We're together now and they are going to have to go through me before they can change that."

"Can everyone listen up, please," Janson's voice rang throughout the auditorium. All the heads in the room turned almost simultaneously to look at him.

Abby and Newt headed closer to the crowd of people, Newt's arm around her waist.

"As you should know, the trials are over," Janson spoke, "We just need one more thing from you. You just need to do what we tell you one last time."

Frypan interrupted, "So not really over then, is it?"

Rat Man dismissed him with a small sigh and his eyes flicked back to the whole crowd. "You just need to agree to remove the Swipe," he said casually.

The room erupted in curious voices all at once. "What does that mean?" Newt mused, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Quiet, quiet," Janson motioned, "Removing the Swipe will return your memories so your brain will be unaltered. If you had any good memories of times before this you will get them back. We will take out every device that is in your head except the one that maps your killzone patterns."