Chapter 16

Surprisingly, Thomas didn't argue about letting Abby come along with him. No one did. Everyone must have figured that she needed to come. For herself and for Newt, no matter what against WICKED.

Only a few minutes after Thomas said yes to Abby coming with him, their group was shown to a room where they could sleep until morning. There were bunk beds lining one wall of the square room with a sink and tables on the wall across from it.

After seeing the beds, almost everyone realized how tired they were and lied down. It had been a series of incredibly long days.

However, while everyone else went straight to sleep, the quiet and darkness of the room didn't help Abby much. It was more time to think about what she didn't want to think about. In the silence, memories of her last time seeing Newt kept playing in her head followed by older memories of being with Newt back in the maze. Sure, life wasn't great, or even good, then, but it was a lot easier to deal with than what they were currently going through.

It just made her emotional, thinking about how Newt used to be before he was affected by the Flare. And knowing that she could do nothing for him, or even see him again, didn't help at all. It just got harder and harder for Abby to deal with the thoughts as she lied on the bottom bunk of the bed, not being able to sleep.

She kept tossing and turning until she couldn't take doing nothing anymore and stood up, walking over to the sink. The handle for cold water squeaked as she turned it. She leaned down and splashed the water onto her face. It did bring her back to reality a bit and it was definitely something to do.

After patting her face dry the best she could with her hands and shirt sleeve, Abby looked at herself in the mirror above the sink. Her dark hair was messily falling out of the rubber band that was holding it in a ponytail at the back of her head. Abby reached up and slid the band out of her hair and onto her wrist. She straightened and combed through her hair a bit with her fingers until it looked a little more smooth before tucking it behind her ears. The ends of hair that was slightly split stopped just past her shoulders.

She almost looked normal, like someone who was living like everyone else in the city with no relations to WICKED or the Right Arm. Maybe even someone who lived before the sun flares and disease started.

In a way, Abby realized, she was at least a little more normal than some people. She didn't have the Flare and she wasn't going to die from it. No, don't think about that, Abby told herself.

Like always, it would only take her mind back to Newt. What was he doing then? Was he sleeping? Or wide awake like Abby was? Was he...even alive?

Abby pushed away from the sink and quickly lied back down, not wanting to think about anything along those lines. She pressed her face into the pillow before rolling over and staring at the blank wall until she finally got to sleep.

In the morning, Abby was woken up by the sound of someone pounding on the door. At first, it was confusing trying to figure out what was going on, but she did once she realized that they were all safe.

"Six o'clock am," Vince's voice rang, "Time for business."

Abby sat up and saw the others doing the same. Thomas was rubbing his eyes and Minho groggily climbed down from the bunk above her. "Just love waking up to the sound of banging on the door in the morning," Minho said sarcastically.

"Hey, they're helping us," Thomas defended, "At least try not to pick a fight with everyone while I'm gone.

Minho shook his head, "No promises."

There wasn't a whole lot of getting ready in the morning that the group could do or even wanted to do, but there was slightly more than normal.

There were piles of clothes lined up on a table opposite the beds. Each pile had a grey shirt and black pants along with some undergarments. They all just kept the shoes and jackets they already had. There were four of them with male sizes, for Minho, Thomas, and Jorge, and two of them that were female sizes, for Abby and Brenda.

Each of them picked a pile and took turns changing in the bathroom that was just a couple doors down the hallway. To everyone's surprise, the clothes fit close to perfect. It was relieving and nice to have new clean clothes.

Once everyone was ready and now wide awake, someone from the Right Arm came and took them back to the big room. There were people handing out plates of breakfast to the crowd of Immunes. It wasn't very big of a meal, but it was still the best food Abby had eaten in quite a while. She took a seat at a table where Thomas and Minho were, already halfway done with their breakfast.

"One night here and this place is already entirely better than WICKED," Minho commented, "You should take all the time you need to get back here, Thomas."

"Yeah, this place is pretty great," Abby added, "But I'm sure it can't last forever. That's why Thomas needs to do this."

"What did they say you'll be doing anyway?" Minho questioned.

Thomas finished chewing and spoke, "They told me that they will be taking me back to WICKED's headquarters, with Abby of course. They said that I'll be dropped off a mile or so away from the building just so it's not suspicious. To get inside, I'll have to turn myself in. It's the easiest way since WICKED has been trying to find me for a long time. All I have to do after that is get a moment away from whoever is watching me, find the Immunes they have and lead them out of there. Oh, and also get this one thing."

Abby scrunched her eyebrows together in confusion. "What thing do they need you to get?"

"Well, I guess it's actually more important than just something," Thomas explained, "but it's this device called a Flat Trans. I guess it's like a thing you step into and it will basically teleport you wherever it's supposed to. But when I get it, it will just be a small device that WICKED has. I just have to bring it back so we can get somewhere safe."

Minho nodded, "Sounds good to me. As long as we still get food like this and not Frypan's food."

The three of them continued eating and Brenda and Jorge eventually joined them. Eventually, Vince came over and told Abby and Thomas that it was time to leave.

"Good luck," Minho said to them.

Brenda stood in front of Thomas and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Stay safe," she told him, looking into his eyes.

Thomas nodded before him and Abby followed Vince out of the room. He led them to a small garage that had a white van parked inside. Vince introduced them to the person who would be driving them whose name was Lawrence. He shook their hands and soon Vince had to leave them.

Then they all climbed into the van, Lawrence obviously in the driver's seat, Thomas in the passenger seat, and Abby in the second row. Abby reached for a seatbelt, only to find out that they all had either been ripped out or cut off. Alright then, she thought.

"So," Thomas began, "What's the plan?"

Lawrence turned slightly so he could face his passengers a little better. "For one, I'm going to try my best not to crash this thing. I haven't once in three years of driving it," he continued, "And also, if we see any Cranks, don't freak out, I'm just going to speed up and floor this thing right out of there."

------

Omg I'm sorry that this was such a filler chapter. I promise there are some really exciting things coming up in this book. There's also only a few chapters left, it's kinda sad for me ):)