Backstory Chapter #5

Leaving for the maze ~ 14 years old

The watch on Abby's wrist lit up and showed the time. 5:00 a.m. Pretty early in the morning. But it had been easy to wake up then, especially when it was hard to sleep that night anyway. Abby didn't know how she slept at all when it was the night before Newt, her closest friend and now maybe even more than that, would be sent into the maze.

It was easy to feel like the odds were impossible and to be kept up all night thinking that the situation was helpless. However, Abby did settle to sleep for a little while because of the small amount of hope she had. She hadn't told anyone, not even Newt, but Abby was convinced that she could stop him from being forced into the maze. She had to save him and stop WICKED from erasing his memory and sending him up.

If she didn't, Newt would be gone. Practically the only good thing left in Abby's life would disappear, probably forever. Which meant she couldn't fail. She wasn't going to fail. At least she didn't think she would.

While everyone else in Abby's room was sleeping in their bunks, Abby stood up. She was already wearing her daytime clothes, so she wouldn't need to change. Not that it really mattered, however, it was kind of hard to take someone seriously when they're wearing pajamas.

Abby walked silently up to the door, and then stopped and closed her eyes. She clasped her hands together in front of her face and thought, Please make there be no one out there. Please don't let me get caught. Newt needs this. We both need this.

After taking a deep breath, Abby relaxed her shoulders and opened the door. Fortunately, it was still unlocked. WICKED still hadn't caught on. Abby smiled a little. And they're supposed to be the scientists.

It was risky walking through the hallways so far into the morning. There were for sure some people already working somewhere in the building. But, Abby couldn't go later or earlier without missing her one chance to see Newt before he was sent into the maze.

Abby knew the layout of the hallways around her dorm and the workings of the security cameras as if she had been doing it all her whole life. Even at the places she had never been before, she had still purposely learned so much about it that it didn't take too much thought to remember which way to go when.

Abby was perched at a corner, right before the hallway turned to the left. In her mind, she was visualizing the map of WICKED she studied. If she remembered correctly, Newt was in the room right around the corner. Anytime now, Abby thought. Sure enough, in a couple of seconds, there was a sound of the door opening. Abby peeked around the corner as little as possible. Two people were walking in the opposite direction. That hopefully meant that the room was empty of any WICKED workers, but there wasn't enough time to make sure.

Deep breath. Relax. Go. Abby moved quickly around the corner, looking cautiously ahead. Her eyes were flicking quickly around the hallway in all directions. Luckily, there was no one left in the hall. After taking two steps forwards, Abby ripped the door open, sprinted inside, and shut it as quietly as she could. Barely getting up the courage to peek open her eyes, Abby turned around and glanced at the room in front of her.

"Abby?" It was Newt. And thankfully he was the only other person in the room, sitting on a white mattress on top of a rolling bed. Part of it was angled up towards the wall. "Abby!" he said again, pushing himself up into a full sitting position, "What in the world are you doing here?"

The area was small with one wall completely covered in cabinets, drawers, and monitors. Newt's bed was in the center of the room and once Abby got her senses, she stepped quickly up to it. "Shh. Don't be so loud," she whispered. However, the deja vu she felt from it made her freeze. All the times of saying that to him when they were just young kids with practically nothing to worry too much about. But standing in front of Newt in the tiny prep room felt so much heavier. The weight of her own words made Abby choke up a little, her words catching in her throat. It only went on for a couple of seconds, but it was still long enough for Newt to notice.

Abby took a quick deep breath. "Newt I'm going to get you out of here," she declared, "I'm going to save you."

"Save me from what?"

"From WICKED forcing you to go up into the maze," Abby told, "And from getting your memory erased." Leaning on the edge of Newt's bed with her hands, she continued, "If I stop them from sending you into the maze, then you won't lose your memory. And...you won't forget about me." The last part came out softer and quieter than the rest of it. For some reason, Abby could barely get herself to look at Newt's face after admitting her fear to him. Instead, she stared at the crumpled, white sheets tucked down at the end of the bed.

"Abby," Newt spoke slowly, "Even if everything you've planned for tonight is right, where are we supposed to go? There's no way you could hide me in your room or anywhere else without someone noticing. There's no way."

Abby shook her head and stood up straight, pacing over to him."There has to be a way. I'm not going to let them separate us just like that."

Newt had experienced Abby's stubbornness for years, but it was this one time when he really wished that she would just let it go and agree. However, before she even had a chance to, they were cut off by a sudden noise from outside the door. There was the thud and click of a door shutting, and then footsteps. And Newt started to get scared. Not for himself, but for Abby. She opened her mouth to say something, but Newt spoke up before she got a word out.

"Listen to me," he begged, placing his hands on Abby's shoulders, "You need to go. You need to leave, Abby. Go back to your dorm before they come in here. If they catch you in here with me, it will be even worse!"

"Newt, I'm not leaving you!" Abby persisted. Although, there wasn't as much fire in her eyes as there was fear. "You're the only thing I have left. All my family was taken away from me years ago and now they're all probably dead," Abby's voice broke, "I can't let you be taken away too. I'll have nothing. No one else here will ever be the same as you are to me. No one else at all. Because I love you."

Newt stared longingly up at her as the sounds of footsteps from outside increased. He knew what he wanted to do again and even though it wasn't the ideal time, he had to do it. Slipping off the bed and landing standing up, Newt leaned in close to Abby and connected his lips to hers. She kissed back with no hesitation. It was longer and warmer and more meaningful this time. Abby closed her eyes as a tear slid down her cheek.

Once they pulled away from each other, everything was perfect and peaceful for a few seconds. Their hands were clasped around waist-level with their fingers intertwined. Abby looked in Newt's dark-brown eyes and he looked back. He was at least half a head taller than her, so he had to look down just slightly. And Abby had to tilt her head up.

It all would have lasted so much longer than it did if it weren't for the doctors who walked through the door right then. Guards stood behind them. "Who are - what are you doing here?" one of them grunted. "Guards, take her back to her room."

Newt watched in horror as three men in the same black WICKED suits as before grabbed Abby. She struggled and fought as much as she could, but it was no use. Newt sat on the bed with his mouth clamped tightly shut and his eyes teary. Abby saw her last glimpse of him through the small crack in the doorway before the door was firmly closed.

- - - - -

I can't believe there's only two of these chapters left. Thanks to all of you for reading❤