Backstory Chapter #2

First time sneaking out ~ 9 years old

Half an hour after the time for lights out, Abby sat up in the bottom bunk in her dorm. It was completely dark in the room, except for a dim light on the wall near the bathroom. There were sounds of steady breathing coming from all around her. From experience, Abby knew that most of the other girls in her dorm were already asleep. And any who weren't wouldn't tell anyone if they heard Abby sneaking out. That's what she was planning on doing. Sneaking out from her room.

None of the kids at WICKED were supposed to leave their dorms or even be awake after lights out, but Abby had snuck out twice before. The first time, she was only curious when she checked the door handle and found it unlocked. She was incredibly careful that time that she didn't get caught by any person or security camera. Between that time and the next, Abby made sure to memorize the locations of all the security cameras to make it easier sneaking through the hallways. However, during that second time of breaking the rules, Abby was almost caught. She had stopped at a corner when someone walked right past her. She almost fainted and it felt like her heart was beating so loudly that the person who walked by must have heard it. After she got back to her dorm safe, Abby swore that she wouldn't go out again. She told herself that her night adventures were over.

But, Abby now had a reason to sneak out again. She wanted to talk more to the boy who was in two of her classes, Newt.

Carefully and quietly slipping out of bed, Abby set her bare feet down on the cold floor. She tip-toed over to the door and pulled down the handle. It was unlocked once again. Perfect. Abby pushed the door open, stepped outside, and gently closed the door again. Looking down at her watch, she waited a couple seconds for it to be the ideal time to start dodging the security cameras and then started silently walking down the hallway. At each corner, she would pause just to be sure no one was coming, and she would check that the camera above her was pointing in the other direction. Then she would continue on.

There were only two dorms for the nine-year-old boys. Abby had learned that from one of her classes that talked about the structure of the WICKED buildings. They must've not thought about what kids could do with that information.

At the door to the first room, Abby stopped and stood up on her toes to see through a small circular window that was on the door. It was hard to see in the dark, but none of the boys' faces looked like Newt. So, she moved on to the second door while still being conscious of the cameras. That time, Abby recognized Newt's face almost immediately. He was lying on his back in the bottom bunk of the bed closest to the door. Abby smiled slightly and started to open the door, which wasn't locked either.

As soon as the door opened, Abby saw Newt quickly sit up and turn around to look at her. He looked scared with wide eyes at first, but he calmed down when he realized who it was at the door. Thankfully, no one else in the room woke up. Newt cocked his head to the side slightly and whispered, "Abby?"

"Newt, come here," Abby motioned for him to come with her hand, "I want to show you something."

Reluctantly, Newt got out of bed and came over. "Abby, we're not allowed to leave our rooms after dark," he scolded.

"Shhh," Abby cut in, "We're going to run out of time. Stay right behind me." She left out the door. Newt waited for a second, clearly knowing that he shouldn't follow her, but he went after her anyway.

They didn't stop until reaching a door that was labeled 'SUPPLY CLOSET'. "What are you-" Newt tried.

"Shhh." Abby opened the closet door and hurried inside, Newt right behind her. There was actually a lot of space inside the closet between mops and buckets and a variety of boxes. Once the door was shut, Abby sat down on the floor and folded her legs underneath her. "Wasn't that fun?" Abby asked Newt, still talking quietly.