Chapter 15

It took a second to realize what Vince said actually meant. They did a test and it came out saying that Abby was immune? That was impossible.

"That can't be right," Abby shook her head, baffled, "They told me that I wasn't immune and had the Flare. Whatever test you did must be messed up or something. It's probably broken." All she could do was deny it.

"Well, if you don't believe it, we can always do the test again," Gally spoke up.

"Yeah," Vince stepped forward and pulled a small grey cylinder out of his back pocket. He pressed a button on it and flipped open a small metal flap on one end of it. "Put your finger on this," Vince told, holding the device out to Abby.

Hesitantly, Abby placed her right index finger on the blue, glowing piece. There was a small prick of pain and she pulled her hand back before the device closed.

After a couple of beeps, Vince looked down at the device. "There was no mess up," he made known, "You are immune."

"But..." Abby stuttered, "But, they said-"

"Whoever told you that you weren't immune was clearly lying to you," Vince cut in.

Abby tried to think of why WICKED would possibly lie to her about something that serious. Then she finally realized. It was the reason for most of the things WICKED did. They wanted another variable. Another variable to throw at them and see how their brains reacted. And what better a way to do it than with her and Newt. To see how they would react with such life-changing news after becoming so close in more ways than one. Wait, Abby thought, Could Newt be immune too?

Abby looked up from the ground and at Thomas and Vince who stood in front of her. "What about Newt?" she asked.

There was a bit of a silence as Abby looked around at everyone, stopping at Thomas. "Newt's probably not immune," he guessed, "I don't think that the people who took him would make such a huge mistake like that." He looked like he wished it was the opposite.

"He's right," Jorge spoke up, "When they took him from the Berg they would have for sure checked to make sure he wasn't immune and had the Flare. Those people don't make mistakes like that."

"Plus, Abby, you saw how he was acting," Thomas added.

Abby let out a breath she was holding in and realized that what they were all saying had to be true. "So all those times I thought I was feeling something weird in my head, it all wasn't real," she confirmed, "I must have just been making myself believe that there was something going on in my head because that was what WICKED wanted me to think."

"Wait, WICKED told you that you weren't immune?" Vince questioned.

She nodded her head and continued, "It's all another variable. Just something else for WICKED to track and make our lives terrible with. And if they hadn't made me think that I wasn't immune, then maybe I would have had more time with Newt. And I haven't even...he thinks that I will be going through the same thing as him! He will never even know that I'm going to be okay!" Tears filled her eyes, but she wasn't sad. At least not only sad. Abby was mostly angry at WICKED. Mad at them for what they did to her and Newt and everyone they ever hurt.

Right then, she decided that if she couldn't save Newt, then she would try as hard as she could to stop WICKED and save as many people as she could.

"Well..." Vince started, "That's unfortunate. But I still need to talk to you all and tell you about our plan. Just follow me in here." He motioned to the door turned around. After a moment of hesitation, the others followed Vince to the door to the room.

Abby was close to telling them that she wasn't coming in there with them. She knew that she needed just a moment to herself to truly take in what just happened. She was about to take it, standing still a few yards back from where Jorge and Brenda were filing into the other room.

But, as her brain went back and forth from each option, trying to make a decision, she realized that what she really needed was to hear what Vince had to say. Her anger at WICKED needed somewhere to go and hearing about a possible plan to take them down seemed like the perfect opportunity.

So, just slightly behind the others, Abby reluctantly followed Vince through the door.

°

Inside the room, the walls were bare and grey. There was a pretty beaten up old desk with several chairs sitting across from it against the wall. Abby, Thomas, and Minho sat to the left of the door while Brenda and Jorge chose two chairs to the right.

Vince sat down in a chair behind the desk after shutting the door behind them. He leaned back in the chair and intertwined his fingers together while the others stared back intently. "I'm sure you're wondering how I know who you are, Thomas," Vince spoke.

"Yeah," Thomas stated. He was also wondering what Vince was going to possibly tell him and if he should start running or not.

"Of course you are," Vince said, "Gally told me about you. And based on what he knows, he thinks that you might be our way to get into WICKED's headquarters. All you have to do is follow our directions."

"It will help us save the Immunes that WICKED has and we will get all of you to somewhere safe," he continued. The part about saving Immunes got Abby's attention and Thomas, Brenda, Minho, and Jorge were obviously also intrigued.

"The thing is though," Vince added, "It will require you to go back to WICKED. Not for a long time, just to get to get one thing we need and lead the other Immunes out. You'll have help and I'll explain it to you more, later."

Thomas looked over at the rest of the group before returning his gaze to Vince. "Can we have a second to talk about this?" he asked.

"Go ahead," Vince agreed and left the room.

After a short discussion, they all came to the conclusion that they should do it. If it meant that they could all be safe from Cranks and get away from the crazy city, then they all knew that they should do it. No matter what Thomas needed to do for them to get it.

When Vince returned, they told him their decision. "Okay," Vince slowly nodded, "We'll be leaving tomorrow morning. I'll tell someone to show you where you all can stay overnight." He left the room almost immediately after that.

"Thomas, can we talk for a second?" Abby put in.

Thomas quickly looked back at the three others in the room who were talking together. "Sure."

"Okay," Abby breathed, "I just want to say that if you are going back to WICKED, I'm coming along with you."

***

Hope this chapter was good and sorry for not updating xx