Chapter 8 - Part 1 - Zivena

When I wake up hours later I find myself lying in my own bed with Mom pushing a glass of cold water against my lips. She holds me as I start to convulse and another wave of pain sweeps through me.
What the hell is happening?
    I hear voices coming from my doorway. Ulfric and Ahren are talking quietly and occasionally glance towards me and Mom. I notice Evert walk past my room. He doesn't even glance in.
    "Instead of standing around talking, how about you go and get some wet towels. It's going to be a long night and day."
    Dread makes my heart almost stop. Night and day?
    Mom starts to tickle my back and I hear the bedroom door close.
    I open my mouth to say something but I hesitate.
    "What is it, sweetheart?" Mom asks.
    I turn over and look up at her calm face, seeing only openness and love.
    "I - I don't want to go through this." I pause, bracing myself for Mom to tell me I need to be strong. That I know what's coming.
Mom brushes my hair away from my face before saying, "I don't know if I've ever ask you this before but do you want to be a Guardian, Zivena?"
    I nod straight away. "Of course."
    "I'm glad you're so determined," Mom smiles and she opens her mouth to continue talking but stops herself. A strained expression on her face. I can sense her weariness and uncertainty as she stares at me, weighing whatever options are running through her head. She finally says, "You need to prepare yourself, Zivena. Not just for the transformation but for everything after. There's - there's a lot you don't know. A lot more then you realize."
    I frown at her. "Okay," I say, drawing out the word. "I'll try to remember that."
    Mom doesn't say anything else, instead she prompts me to roll back over and starts to rub my back again. Ulfric silently enters and places a tray of wet towels on my bedside table. Mom picks one up and begins to dab at my face, my neck and shoulders, silently humming a tune.
    "Something, unexpected happened yesterday," I say, rolling over yet again.
    "Hmm?"
    I watch her, wondering if I should tell. Taking a deep breath, I hold her gaze, making sure she doesn't look away. "I think I brought a turtle back to life."
    Mom's hand freezes in midair and she stares at me but I power on, recounting everything as if it were lyrics to my favorite song.
Mom still hasn't moved an inch. "Mom? Can you please say something? You're kind of freaking me out."
    "I – I'm sorry, honey," she shakes her head and lowers her hand. But I can feel her avoidance and she won't look me in the eye. "Zivena, that isn't possible. No Guardian is able to do that. No one and nothing is that powerful. Not even -"
Not even what?
    But there's not point asking. I nod instead. I know Mom believes that but I know I brought that turtle back to life.
    I turn over again and Mom continues to tickle my back. Her hesitance is clear and the deep-seated worry is hard to ignore. I try to convince myself that I haven't told her anything and force my mind elsewhere.

✲✲✲✲✲

    I'm flying over New York City. All the buildings are covered in plants and vines. The streets are empty, silent. It's a peaceful silence though, one where you can't get hurt.
    Wild animals roam through Wall Street and I wonder if they escaped from Central Park Zoo. My head snaps around as I spot a man running through the streets of my city. All I can make out is a flash of green hair. Without noticing me, he vanishes behind a building. I can't help think there is something familiar about him.
    Looking ahead, I see the Hudson River coming closer. On the other side of the river there are no longer any buildings or bridges but an enormous forest identical to the place where I met Isis. I keep flying until I land in the middle of a clearing. Trees surround me and a few deer are grazing nearby.
    "Zivena," someone says from behind me.
    I turn around and Isis stands there. I look down at myself, afraid I might be naked again, and see I'm wearing my vine dress. Thank god.
    "How have you been coping since the last time I saw you?" she asks.
    I shrug. "Oh, you know; the usual. Brutal headaches here and there, something wacky happening with my eyesight, bringing a turtle back to life. You know, normal teenager things. But heck! I'm not a normal teenager, am I?" I say, my voice dripping with sarcasm.
    "What turtle?" Isis asks.
    "Oh, is this more of that 'I'm-not-going-to-tell-you-the-answers-you-must-seek-out-and-find-yourself' kind of crap? Is this supposed to be a character building exercise?"
    "I truly have no clue what you're talking about."
    "The turtle! The small, vulnerable thing that I swear I brought back to life, but no one believes me!" I yell at her.
    So much for being 'similar'.
    She stands there, staring at me. My anger starts to cool a bit when I realize that she doesn't know what I'm talking about.
    "Explain to me what happened?" Isis finally asks.
    I tell her what happened, just like I had with Mom.
    "You think you brought it back to life?"
    Her tone makes me realize how ridiculous I sound.
    "Zivena, tell me quickly. That feeling you had, did it feel like when I healed your leg?"
    I stare down at my thigh and see the scars.
    "That's it! It was the same. I knew it was familiar!"
    "This power surpasses every reincarnation," Isis mutters, worry seeping into her voice. Worry she tries not to show.
    "I'm not even going to ask," I say, stalking off. What's the point? She isn't going to tell me anyway.
    "Zivena!" Isis calls to me. "Just remember that everything will become clear soon. The wait is almost over. The dreams are real. Your scar is a reminder of that!" And that's all she says before turning into a big old pile of dirt.
    I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes. All I need is a pot plant and shovel. I'm sure Isis would make great fertilizer seeing as she is so full of shit. Before I can make a start though, I feel myself being pulled out of the dream.