Chapter 5 - Lyov

Zivena enters through the front door and whirls past me. All I catch is a glimpse of black hair as she runs up the stairs. I have a feeling that she hasn't seen me at all. She has a tendency to get caught up in her own thoughts. Lenia pokes her head into the kitchen and gives me a quizzical look.
"Was that Zivena?" I nod and pour a glass of whiskey. Lenia walks in and places her kusarigama on the table. The long metal chain has two blades that look like straight bladed sickles attached to each end. The sharp edges glint in the light. "You've been quiet all afternoon," my wife murmurs and wraps her arms around me.
"Can you blame me?" I take a sip, but don't meet her eyes. Lenia smiles sadly and shakes her head. My fingers glide over her flushed cheeks and her eyes shimmer with gold, a small mischievous grin plays on her lips. Forty years on and I still get excited by that smile.
Someone coughs from the hallway and we both sigh before turning to Ahren.
"What's up, sweetheart?" Lenia asks as she puts away her weapon into its case.
Ahren turns away and looks over his shoulder, "I think there is something you both need to see." Lenia and I share a shrug before following Ahren up to the third floor.
"Why are we here, Ahren?" I ask.
Without answering, Ahren opens the door and we find ourselves face-to-face with Zivena's latest art piece. The wind is suddenly knocked out of me. I can't move my feet. Lenia sucks in a breath and shoots me a look.
"Why is Zivena painting her?" Ahren demands. He has this look in his eyes that I rarely see and I know he won't be backing down from this. "That's Isis. Isis," he emphasizes as if the picture doesn't do that itself. "And it's not the first time Zi has painted her."
Ahren pauses, as if he's waiting for Lenin and I to jump on the bait. When we don't he continues. "You know that graffiti piece she did yesterday? That was of Isis too. And right around the corner from the Cracked Vamp."
Lenia snots, "That's quite a statement for her. Usually she keeps to herself."
"Why is Zi painting her?" Ahren demands again.
"Ahren," I face him slowly.
"Why didn't you tell me it was her?" Ahren presses, his eyes flicking between Lenia and me.
"You know why," I mumble, exhausted, and close the door.