Chapter 14 - Part 1 - Zivena

I'm sitting crossed legged on my bed drawing. Mika is studying at her desk, ignoring me which is no big loss. As I draw a few finishing touches on my drawing of Flora my phone begins to ring. I grin.

"Imogen!" I answer.

"Zivena!"

"What have you been up to?"

Imogen sighs. "Not much. Just trying to get everything organized before starting college. How's training?"

"Yeah, it's good but intense." At the thought I rub my tired and sore shoulders. "I'm loving it though."

Imogen laughs, "I can tell. You sound exhausted."

Before I can reply Mika spins around in her chair and glares at me. All she needs is a cat to stroke and she'd make a great evil villain.

"Can you go annoy someone else with your inane conversation?" Mika says, pointing to the door.

I roll my eyes and pull on my boots to leave. I make as much noise as I possibly can before I walk out the door, leaving it wide open.

"Was that Mika?" Imogen whispers.

I laugh. "Yep. The one and only person who's making my life a living hell. Seriously I'm surprised she hasn't shaved off my eyebrows in my sleep or something." I make my way through the common room where Vulcan and Flora are hanging out together. I wave to them as I walk outside.

"So you still have no idea why she's being so rude for?" Imogen asks.

"Nope. I haven't got a clue. She's just crazy."

We continue our 'inane' conversation as I walk around the courtyard. Imogen fills me in on her jewelry business. She thinks she'll have a contract with a big clothing brand soon which is going to take up all her spare time.

"Imogen that's huge news! When did you find out?"

"This morning. I wanted to tell you right away but Grandpa organized a small celebratory lunch with some of my family and your mom was even there. I couldn't sneak away to let you know and after it finished I knew you were back in class. I'm sorry!"

I laugh again, "Why are you apologizing? That's awesome news!"

"Thanks, Zi! I can't believe you've already been away for a month. It's doesn't seem like it's been that long."

"I know, hey."

We lapse into a comfortable silence. We speak every few days and not much really happens in between.

The cool air is nice after a hot day. My muscles still tremble from Taregan making us run laps around the Hub in the middle of the day with the sun blaring down on us. So much for a lunch break.

"How are you going, Zi? And I don't mean your training," Imogen adds quickly.

I sigh, "I'm okay for the most part. Training keeps me busy and helps keep my mind off of him. How's Jared going?" I ask to steer the conversation away from me.

"He ah - he isn't going great. He's really missing Owen and the only time I get to see him is if I stay in his room and watch movies with him. I usually have to take food as well and make him eat it. He's only left his room to go to the funeral and that's it."

Something heavy and roiling slides down my throat and sits like rotting meat in my stomach. It festers and gurgles and makes me want to vomit.

"I really miss him, Zi," Imogen says. Her voice is so soft that even I have trouble hearing her but I do pick up the small sniffs. "I miss his jokes. I miss the way he would tease Jared," she starts laughing, "I even miss his weird obsession of mixing M'n'Ms with chili fries."