Chapter 20 - Part 1 - Zivena

It's early November. We're all rugged up as we hike the well worn trail to the arena. This will be our fifth challenge since I arrived and next month we will reveal ourselves to the others in a dramatic exit. I smile at the thought.
    "Why the smile?" Mictain asks. He's walking beside me, arms crossed in an attempt to keep himself warm.
    "Nothing really. Just glad we get to leave next month."
    Instead of sharing my smile Mictain frowns. "I guess. I'm more worried about how we're going to hold up. We only trained for six months."
    I shrug. "I'm trying not to think about that. There isn't much we can do about it." I laugh. "I'm sounding more and more like you."
    Mictain shares a small smile before concern overtakes him again.
    We make our way to the entrance of the massive arena. The names of those competing are posted before the change rooms and I notice I'm one of the first to fight.
    I duck into the female change rooms, and begin warming up. There are a few other girls doing similar exercises.
    Some of the fights can be over quickly, others last at least half an hour. I could easily win any fight if I was allowed to use my power but Taregan said it was an 'unfair advantage'. Sure. Taregan told us we weren't allowed to win the challenges as it'd make other students suspicious. I couldn't argue with that logic. Still. I liked to throw a match when I was one rank higher then my classmates. There's no harm in looking good.
    Mingan calls my name when it's my turn.
    I'm still smiling when the doors open and I find myself walking through the trees that border the arena. People in the stadium are quiet and I shut out their emotions. Excitement. Anticipation. Nervousness. Boredom. There is only one person I have to focus on and that's my opponent.
    I eventually clear the tree line and notice who I'm about to fight. Waist-long hair, black eyes, pale skin.
    Mika.
    "You've got to be kidding me!" I hear her yell.
    She only speaks again when we're ten feet apart. "I'm fighting you? You? You've been here four months!" Mika tries to intimidate me with her glare. It doesn't work.
    "I'm just a better fighter than most," I shrug and smile. It only infuriates her more.
    This is the first time we've spoken to each other in full sentences.
    "You're not better than me!" Mika says.
    She launches. I know her fighting style: distract with her hair and attack with swift spins and twirls to keep her opponent dizzy.
    I duck her flying braid and punch her in the stomach. She doubles over, winded, but I'm far from finished. Before she can recover, I send a series of kicks but she dodges every single one. I notice she isn't wearing her black leather gloves.
    Even though I know I can beat her, Mika anticipates my every move. She's on the defense; I'm on the offense. Neither of us can get a hit on the other, and it's starting to piss me off.
    "How — the — hell?"
    "Do you know what my animal guide is, Zivena?" Mika asks.
    "Never really cared, to be honest."
    "It's a raccoon," she says. She pauses briefly, and I take the opportunity to strike out at her shoulder. She learns her lesson quickly.
    "You got lucky then," she sneers, "But did you know that raccoons have extremely sensitive front paws?"
What is she on? "So?"
    "It's the reason you can't hit me." Mika smiles.
No, seriously, what is she on?
    Mika answers like she's read my mind. "The air reacts when you move and my hands can pick up on it."
    "Pretty shitty gift if you ask me."
    Mika's eyes drill into me, her mouth a tight line. I ignore her. If I keep talking and fighting, I'll fall flat on my ass. I have to lose a fight sometime today but I'm certainly not going to lose to Mika. Thank the gods, I have an idea.
    Even though I'm not supposed to use my powers, I can't pass up the chance to piss Mika off. If she had been any form of nice to me in the last four months then I would gladly lose to her. But she hasn't. Not once. She's a bitch.
    We continue on fighting, a plan formulating. I wait until I can see her face clearly, and I let one of her punches slip through. Her fist hits the side of my ribs, under my boob. I study her face carefully but no discomfort registers across it.
    I smile. Time to fight dirty. And a tiny bit of cheating.
    Power trickles through me and I begin to manipulate the air, but only slightly. Small whirlwinds form around me as I keep fighting. Confusion sweeps through Mika as she struggles to keep up with my attack and a grin spreads across my face as I sweep her feet from under her.
    Mika lands heavily on her tailbone but jumps to her feet. "What the hell are you doing?" Mika snarls.
    I shrug. "I have my own skills. Just. Like. You."
    Mika shakes her head. "No. This is something different. What are you doing?"
    I shrug again and it only infuriates her more.
    Mika splays her hands open. They move almost imperceptibly, reading the air around me. I use the air to make her think that I'll be moving to her left side. I actually strike from the right.
    I step up close. She moves in the opposite direction. Her palm is exposed as I slam my fist into it like a boxing pad.
    It's like a shockwave traveling down her arm. Mika stumbles away, falling to her knees she clutches her hand in front of her. Shock and pain fill her. It'll be a long time until that hand feels right again.
    There's silence in the stands above. The only students that have beaten Mika were those who had been training longer than her. And that is something I'm definitely not.

Life - Life & Death Book 1On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara