Chapter 24 - Part 1 - Zivena

Christmas Eve has crept up quickly. Between the constant training and classes we haven't had the time to enjoy the holiday season. A week earlier we'd been called into the common room and Tolinka announced that our families would be coming to spend Christmas with us. She also mentioned that a huge event will be happening a few days after Christmas and that because of it the Arena Challenge would be canceled for the month. There was going to be an influx of Guardians into the Hub.
Gods... an influx of Guardians? How many are going to be watching me and Mictain? I still remember the exasperated look on Mictain's face as Tolinka continued to talk up the event.
Thankfully, Mom and Dad arrived this morning to distract me from the rumors running around the Hub. Vulcan would eavesdrop on people gossiping and report back to us. We were all a little interested to see if any of the other students had figured out who was among them.
Dad told me Ulfric and Ahren would be flying in first thing. "This facility is a lot smaller than the one the boys went too," Dad mentions as we walk through the courtyard towards the cafeteria. The snow crunches under our feet. "Where did they go again?" He asks Mom who is all rugged up in a scarf and beanie.
"It was in Montana somewhere," Mom replies.
"How big was that one?" I ask.
"At least fifteen times bigger," Dad says.
Jeepers. That's a lot of Guardians being trained at once.
"How many facilities are there?"
"In the US? Around two hundred."
"What? Are you serious?"
Dad nods. "The one the boys went too was a medium sized one as well."
"In total there are over six thousand training centers across the world," Mom adds.
My jaw drops.
We reach the cafeteria doors just as my stomach starts to grumble. "I'm starving."
"Me too," Dad grins at me.
The cafeteria is packed with people. More tables and chairs have been shoved into the room for all the other families that arrived today. The smells make my tummy grumble even more and I head for the back of the line.
"Evert's sorry he can't make it tomorrow," Mom says quietly. I cringe. I have no intention of ever seeing him again, so it's just as well he isn't here.
"No he's not, Mom," I say. I look at my parents and I can see that they are still haunted by that night.
"We won't let this ruin our Christmas though," Dad interrupts. "In any case, we're next." He points to the hot food.
My hunger takes away the bad thoughts as I pile my plate high. I'm the first to finish and as I look around, I see Mictain sitting alone. My heart breaks seeing him sitting there.
I lead my parents to his table and sit down. Mictain looks up at me, a question on his scarred face.
"Mictain," I smile, "these are my parents Lyov and Lenia."
"Hi," Mictain holds out his hand, "It's lovely to meet you."
Dad shakes his hand. "You too, son."
"Thank you for looking after Zi. Putting up with her attitude isn't easy," Mom says with a straight face.
Mictain laughs.
"Hey!" I cry.
"Well someone has to do it," Dad says, a glint in his eye. "You've taken on a heavy burden, young man. One we will not take back."
"I'm your child! You have to take me back!"
"Sounds like they're enjoying their peace and quiet without you Zi," Mictain grins.
"Don't you start too!"
Mom, Dad and Mictain start laughing and it's hard not to feel at home.

✲✲✲✲✲

I wake up the next morning feeling lighter than I have in ages. Jumping out of bed, I get my clothes ready before hopping into the shower. As I get out, I notice my hair. It's gotten longer again. It now hangs in the middle of my back.
Sighing, I draw most of the water out of my hair and then manipulate the air to dry the rest of it. I force my glamour into place before getting changed.
Over the past few weeks, I've been meeting up with Mictain in his dorm at night. I told him about my lost memory and voiced my worries about why my parents never told me and especially about what Evert did. Mictain told me more about his aunt's farm and life growing up in a small town.
We also talked about the prophecy. It wasn't like we could avoid it. Neither of us were brave enough to ask one of the teachers. And access to the Guardians database wasn't something we gained access to until we graduated.
The lightness I'd felt was gone. Got to love that Christmas spirit.