Chapter 16 - Mictain

I've been out longer then I wanted. The forest is quiet as I move through the trees. Shadows cast by the moon move and lean towards me. I don't know if that's something I'll ever get used to as bile climbs up my throat and I swallow hard to keep it down.

Light peaks beyond the trees. I call shadows to me and let them cover me like a cloak. I stalk silently towards the source and stop a few yards from a clearing. In the middle is a small fire that burns without wood. And then there's Zivena.

What is she doing out here?

Fear trickles in. Does she know I'm here? Does she know why?

Zivena doesn't stir. She continues to sit in front of her fire, eyes closed. I loose a breath.

I should leave. I know I should, but something stops me. There's something about her. I take a step towards her, drawn in. And then I hear the crack.

Zivena's head whips up at the sound. Those brilliant green eyes blaze as she looks in my direction. There's a ferocity to her that stops me from backing away. She continues to stare right at me but confusion clouds her face. Slowly she starts to glow and soon there is a soft light radiating from her, almost protecting her. As she closes her eyes again I take that as my chance to leave.

I'm almost to the main trail when I hear her gasp. Without realizing it, I'm running back to the clearing. A branch cracks under my foot and it's too late to get away. Zivena stands up, her toned body moving like flowing water as she takes in her surroundings.

For a moment there's nothing but darkness, though my eyes quickly adjust. In the brief second I can't see, Zivena creeps towards me without making a single sound. I keep still so she doesn't notice my movement. But I make a mistake.

Fire illuminates the trees. Zivena's face is lit up and for a moment I don't recognize the eyes I'd seen for weeks before meeting her.

"Wait, wait, wait!" I cry and let the shadows pool at my feet as I stumble backward. "Zivena, it's me."

Zivena stares at me blankly before lowering her hand. "Whoa. That was like, super graceful." A smile tugs at her lips.