Chapter 27 - Zivena

Three hours later we're making our way through the city towards home. Dad called ahead for pizza to be delivered and the four of us are silent as we pull onto 74th.
"Did you message Imogen and Jared?" Mom asks.
"Just before we left."
"It'll be good for you to see them again. Mictain can meet them."
Mictain shifts uncomfortably next to me.
We heave ourselves out of the car once Dad parks it and head inside. Ulfric and Ahren meet us in the entryway, concern lining their faces.
"How'd everything go?" Ulfric asks, his usually smiling face serious.
"Not much to report really. We found a survivor," Dad says and shock flares up in both of my brothers, "so hopefully she'll remember something important."
Worry seeps from Ahren and I try to console him, "She's okay. She knew how to hide herself." But the worry doesn't disappear and it only adds to mine.
"It's been a bad day for everyone so why don't we relax and try not to dwell on it," Mom says. We all nod in agreement.
"I'm just going to make a quick call," I say as they move towards the lounge room.
"Is everything all right?" Mictain asks, a frown pulling at his scar.
"Yeah. I want to talk to Hod quickly." I walk to the front door and open it. I look back, "Are you coming?"
His relief surprises me. He thought I wouldn't tell him everything. As if. We're in this together now and besides, there's no way in hell I'd do this alone.
We step onto the street as I dial Hod's number.
"Zivena. What can I do for you?" Hod answers.
"I was wondering where Medea will be staying tonight?"
Mictain gives me a questioning look.
"We have guest apartments in the Pillar. We have already organized one for her."
"I could be paranoid, but," I pause, "I'm worried that the killer will come back for her."
Hod is silent for a moment. There are two people walking down the street. It's so dark between the trees I can't make out their faces. Hod finally says, "I know of a brownstone in Brooklyn. Empty at the moment. Its currently undergoing some construction. No one will think she would be there."
"Thank you. Keep this on the down low, ok? Just in case."
"Understood. Make sure you both get sleep tonight." Hod hangs up.
I take a sigh of relief.
"Do you really think that they would do that?" Mictain asks, concerned.
I shrug and catch his eye. "I'd hate to think how I would feel if she was attacked and we had the chance to protect her."
There's a knock from somewhere behind us and I look up to see two people standing at my front door.
"Imogen?" My heart starts pounding. Six months. It's been six months since I last saw her.
Imogen glances over, her small face peeking out from under her beanie and scarf. "Zi?" She gasps. "Zivena!"
She runs down the stairs but slips over on the snow. I run to her but Jared is already helping her up, an exasperated smile on his face. Well damn. I haven't seen that look before.
"Jared!" The look is gone in an instant.
"We didn't recognize you," Imogen says, cupping her hands in front of her face to warm them.
Jared gives me a strange look before waving and saying, Hey Zi."
"Your hair is green," Imogen squeaks. She reaches up and touches it before ripping off my beanie. "And it's so long!" She pulls me down to her level and I watch her gray eyes study my hair. "It's real?"
"I dyed it," I lie. "Thought it would be a little different." Imogen watches me for a moment longer and she opens her mouth like she's about to say something but something over my shoulder catches her attention. Imogen glances back at me, an eyebrow raised and a mischievous smile on her face.
She lets go of me before saying, "I think you're being rude, Zi."
I'm so confused. "What are you talking about?"
Mictain clears his voice behind me, "She's talking about me, Zivena."
From where he's standing, the shadows hug him like a second skin. As if Mictain knows what I'm thinking, he quickly dissipates the darkness before stepping next to me.
"Hi, I'm Mictain," he smiles. I know the others won't pick it up but I can see that the friendliness is a bit forced. Like he's trying too hard. I introduce him to Jared and Imogen.
"Oh, I know!" Imogen grins. "Zivena has mentioned you."
That knocks me out of my thoughts. "What?" I exclaim. "No I didn't."
"Of course you did! There were more then a few times you told me about him," Imogen finally notices I'm trying to get her to shut up. "Oh, sorry."
"You can't be serious, Zivena?" Jared stares at Mictain, disgusted. "This guy? What, is he going to replace Owen? Is that your plan?"
My heart stops.
"Jared!" Imogen slaps him on the arm. "What's your problem?"
Oh, I know what his problem is. I can feel the jealousy and hatred towards Mictain spiraling around in him like a vortex, sucking away all common decency.
"Owen was my friend too, Jared. You aren't the only person suffering from his death."
"His murder Zivena. Or have you forgotten that?" Jared snarls.
The victims from the morgue fill my mind. Their bodies destroyed beyond recognition, their souls stolen from them. The fight leaves me in an instant.
My body feels heavy as I say, "It's something I will never forget."
Mictain lays a comforting hand on my arm, his presence soothing my grief like a balm.