Chapter Twenty-Seven

Instead of going straight home I head to Blake's house. I haven't talked to him since the night that he came to my house for dinner. Since the night that I got the text message from "Claire". I don't know what I plan on saying to him but all I know is that he has some explaining to do and I am not leaving until he explains some things to me. 

     I reach his house and knock on the door. When nobody answers I knock again. Still no answer. Instead of leaving I sit on his front porch swing. I rock the swing back and forth while I wait for someone to get home. 

     20 minutes later a black truck pulls into the driveway and I stand up. A man gets out of the truck but it isn't Blake. 

     "Hello Miss, may I help you?" The man asks. 

     "Yes, I believe I am looking for your son."

     "Kevin or Blake?" he asks nonchalantly.

     I hesitate and take a deep breath. I had almost forgotten why I was here. "I'd like to speak with Blake, I just got back from speaking with Kevin." 

     He pauses, "You're that girl.... Your the sister.... Of that boy that got shot.... They thought it was Kevin...... Um......." He looks nervous, "Blake isn't here right now but he should be home any minute, would you like to come inside?" He asks. 

     "Sure. Thank you." I respond, he opens the door and leads me inside. I close the door behind me and follow him to the kitchen. 

     The kitchen is small but clean. I look at the fridge. There are pictures of both boys hanging on the fridge. I notice a picture that has been covered up by another. I move the top picture to the side to look at the hidden picture. 

     "That's you, isn't it?" The man asks while taking two cups out of the cabinet. 

     I look closely at the picture. It's of me and Kevin. We are sitting on a bench out by the park. We are both smiling and his arm is around my shoulders. "Yes, it is." I respond. "I don't quite remember when this was taken though." I laugh. It's crazy to think that Kevin has a picture of me on his fridge. I put the picture back behind the other and hesitate for a moment. If my picture was on the Blue's fridge, then Blake has known who I am all along.