Chapter Twenty-Two

When I get home I don't stop in the living room where my father sits, instead I head straight to the bedroom that Jake and Matt used to share before the accident. Now when Jake is home, he sleeps in the living room because he can't stand being in the room that belonged to his dead brother. 

     I go to the closet and find exactly what I'm looking for. I pull a small rusty metal box. It contains all of my the photos that Jake and Matt ever took together. I sit down on the floor leaning against the foot of Matt's old bed. I take the lid off of the old box and set it aside. The box is completely full of photographs. I grab about 10 pictures off of the top of the stack, set the box down, and begin flipping through the photographs that I have in my hands. 

     The first picture is of me, Jake, and Matt. Matt is sitting on a swing at the park that he loved so much, Jake is pushing Matt's swing, and I am searching through my backpack for some snacks for my brothers. I begin thinking about who took the picture. I know that it wasn't me or Matt because both of us were in the picture. I know it wasn't Claire because she didn't like the old park. I then remember who took this picture. Kevin. 

     I set the picture on the ground beside me and look at the next photo. This one makes me shudder. The picture is of me, Matt, and Kevin. Kevin is standing by my side with his arm over my shoulder and his other hand patting Matt's head. We all have the biggest smiles. I remember this picture so vividly. I remember how happy we all were at that exact moment. And I remember the fight that happened the next day. 

     I flip to the next picture that was taken on the same day. This one is just of me and Kevin. He was always taller than me. He stands behind me with both hands on my shoulders and his chin resting on my head. We both smile. Matt is in the background of the picture smiling and playing in a sandbox. I remember this day like it was just yesterday. It was one of the best and worst days of my life.