Chapter Eighteen

"Blake?" I ask turning to my dad, "What's he doing here?" I say, motioning towards Blake who is standing awkwardly by the entrance to the kitchen.

     "Well you see, I actually met him this morning while I was at a little coffee shop in town. When I got off my plane I decided to stop and get a drink on my way here and I just happened to run into this young gentleman who happened to claim that he knew you and that he was with you on the day that you found out Claire was dead. I wanted to know more about him, and he seems like a nice boy, so I invited him to have lunch with us." Dad explains while putting the pizza slices onto our plates and placing the plates on the table.

     I look at Blake but do not say a word and his gaze drops to the floor as though he knows what he did wrong. I take my seat at the table and the guys sit on either side of me. I am trapped. No escape. I only have to survive an hour or so with these two but I know that this is going to be the longest hour of my life.

     Blake and dad try small talk but it leads nowhere. So finally dad starts asking the real questions that I have been waiting for him to ask. I put my head down on the table and wait for the conversation to end.

     "So, Blake, are you and my daughter a couple?" My dad asks as his first question. I can feel two sets of eyes looking at me but I don't budge. I keep my head down and wait for Blake's answer.

     "No sir." Blake replies simply.

     "Okay..." My dad pauses, thinking of his next question, "well, do you have family here?" he asks and I lift my head to look at Blake as he answers this question.

     "Well, yes." He starts, "My dad and I live a block or so from here with my older brother." He makes eye contact with me and I stand up and walk out of the room. I sit in the living room and wait for him to leave but nobody ever exits the kitchen. I wait 10 minutes then I get up and walk back to the kitchen. I see Blake and my dad still sitting at the table talking about sports.

     "Dad, I'd like it if Blake would leave please." My father and Blake turn to look at me.

     "Honey...." my dad starts but I refuse to listen.

     "Okay, then I am going to my room." I state and head to my room. I get upstairs and I sit down on my bed. I pull my phone out of my back pocket and check to see if I have any new messages. I have 2. One is from my mother, and the other is from Claire.

     I stare at the phone, my hands shaking. I hit a button and open the message from Claire. I start reading and my heart skips a beat as I read the words on my phone.