Chapter Twelve

Blake shows up at my house on a black Harley motorcycle. He takes his helmet off and smiles at me.

     "What do you think?" He asks, patting his motorcycle.

     "I think you said we were going to walk." I reply.

     "I know that's what I said but I thought that maybe this would help you to get your mind off of what happened."

     I close my eyes and take a deep breath. If I don't think about it then it didn't happen. Right? I fight back tears and start talking.

     "Oh, so this is supposed to make me feel better." I say sarcastically.

     "Exactly." Blake replies casually.

     "Right," I pause, "and how exactly is...." Blake cuts me off and starts trying to explain what I am clearly not understanding.

     "Just listen." He says as he gets off his motorcycle and sits on my front porch. I sit next to him and wait for him to crack a joke. But when I look at him, his face is so serious. "When my mom died I didn't know what to do. I thought that if I acted like it didn't happen then it wouldn't bother me. I was wrong. So whenever I got upset about losing her I would take a long ride on my motorcycle down some old back road. I would just scream my lungs out until I lost my voice. It was a way for me to get my anger and sadness out."

      He stands up, walks over to his motorcycle and pulls a spare helmet off the back. He hands it to me. I hesitate a moment then take the helmet.