Chapter Nine

I continue walking with Blake down the old country road. We have small conversation along the way and I learn a few things about Blake as we talk.

     Blake is only a year older than me. I will be turning 18 in a few months and he just turned 19 last month. However, we are both seniors and he will be attending my school in August. He has lived here all of his life but instead of going to my school, he has been going to the Catholic school.

     I snap out of my thoughts when I see the car in the ditch a little ways up the road. As soon as I recognize the car, I start running.

     Blake and I reach the car at about the same time. We look inside but the car is empty. I can tell that this was a bad crash. Not only did the car swerve off into the ditch, but it hit a tree that was growing in the ditch. The car was nearly burnt beyond recognition. I know exactly whose car this is though. It's Claire's.

     I pull out my cell and dial her number. No answer. I turn to look at Blake. He has both of his hands in his hair and he is pacing back and forth.

     "Shay, do you know whose car this is?" He asks me with a worried expression on his face.

     "Yes. It's my best friend's."

     My phone rings and I automatically answer it without even looking at the caller ID.

     "Shay? Honey?" The voice on the other end of the line asks, her voice shaking.

     "Mom?" Tears start forming in the corners of my eyes as I face the reality of what is actually happening right now.

     "I need you to come home Shay." I disconnect the call and close my eyes.

     Blake comes up beside me as I sit down on the ground. He sits down beside me and drapes his arm around my shoulder. I don't know what it is about him but for some reason I feel safer in his presence.

     Once I calm down and the tears stop falling we both stand up. Blake is the first to talk. "Let's get you home." He says with sympathy in every word.