Chapter Three

No.

No.

No.

     There is no way that someone could know. I never told anyone what really happened that night. Who sent this?

     I race to my room and grab my laptop. Opening it I pull up Google maps and search the return address on the envelope. My heart is racing as it searches.

No Results.

     I try searching again and again. No luck.

     I need to tell someone about this letter... but who? If someone finds out what I did.... I can't even imagine the consequences. My parents would never forgive me. My friends would never talk to me again. If they knew what my brother Jake did...

     What I need right now is some fresh air. I pull out my phone and text my mom.

     Mom, I am going out. I should be back before you get home but if I'm not then don't worry. -Shay

     I walk to my closet, leaving the note on my desk. Finding my favorite grey hoodie, I pull it on over my neon green t-shirt, grab the note off my desk, stuff it in my pocket, and walk out the door.

     When I get outside I start running. I run and run until I reach the bait shop that my older brother is working at. I open the door and walk in. I look around the room and find Jake standing in front of a small boat hanging on the wall.

     Jake turns around. Though he is only three years older than me, he towers over me. "Shay, what are you doing here?"

     "Jake, I need to talk to you. It's important."

     "Okay.." he pauses and turns around, "boss I'm going on lunch break." He yells. I look at my watch. It reads 12:05 I didn't know it was already past noon.

     Jake grabs my arm lightly and we walk outside the shop. We continue walking until we reach a little restaurant by the lake. Instead of going in, we sit on a small brown bench outside of the restaurant.

     Jake turns to look at me and sees that my face is pale. "Shay, what's going on? What happened?" I can sense the nervousness in his voice. As though he already knows what I'm going to say.

     I reach into my hoodie pocket and pull out the letter I'd  received. As Jake reads it his face starts to lose all color.

     "Who did you tell?" He asks, turning to me. I can hear the anger in his voice.

A/N- Another chapter down. What do you think really happened that night that Shay lost her brother?