44. Fight

It was a very lonely three months after that.

I always expected a text from Ethan, knowing full well every time I looked at my screen I'd get nothing. Ladon seemed to be keeping his distance, knowing his jokes and quips might not put me in the best of moods. Even Gal was showing up less and less, just because it was getting harder to get away with flying through the night sky without someone spotting her. Kathryn had long since found out about our secret rendezvous and just as I'd suspected, she didn't really care.

School was probably the hardest thing to cope with now. I'd see him in class every once in a while but he made sure we only had one or two together, and never right after another. Ethan seemed to be doing okay, far better than I, but I knew it was a mirage, an act. He was just as sad as I was and I could see it taking it's toll on him. It even got to the point where I actually walked in on him and Ladon actually having a decent conversation for once. It struck me hard but I just swallowed my pride and kept going.

One day after school though during the first week of March I found a car waiting at the bottom of the steps, a blond man with sunglasses on staring at me from the passenger side door as he leaned against it. Sergei really was a good looking man, getting himself a few whistles from the girls that walked by and a couple of stares from the guys. I trotted right up to him though, a determined look on my face that I'd hold until I knew the ins and outs of every gun, knife, and weapon he could possibly give me.

"You came," I smiled, "just as promised."

"I don't break promises, kiddo." He smirked as he opened the door for me. "Why don't you call over a few of your housemates, just so that you don't have to be alone."

"I'd give it three...two...one..."

"Sable!"

"There he is," I grinned, turning around to find Ladon barreling down the steps and almost smacking right into Sergei. The frantic look in his eyes died down when I raised an eyebrow teasingly.

"Who is this and why are you getting into his car?" He pointed indiscreetly at Sergei, pulling a real smile from his features.

"Sergei is going to train me how to fight and I suggest you join us, unless you're scared you're going to get your ass handed to you by a girl."

"I can guarantee you that isn't going to happen," Ladon said flatly, a muffled laugh echoing from Sergei, "what's so funny?"

"She reminds me of a friend, lots of spunk and a taste for violence."

"Yeah? Well scoot your ass over I want in on this."

"Perfect," I grinned as he slipped into the backseat and I pulled out my phone, dialing my cousin's number before holding it up to my ear.

"What's up cuz?" She answered almost instantly.

"I'm heading to a secret location to learn how to fight the government, you and Gal in?"

"Oh, you bet," Kathryn cackled like the maniac she was, "hand the phone over to the agent, there's no other way you're learning what you need."

"My cousin wants to talk to you," I held the phone out, his eyebrow raises suspiciously, "B Class, codename: Phantom Snow."

"Oh, Kitty!" He laughed, taking the phone and holding it up to his ear. "What's up you mini-Ritter?"

I heard a faint squeal from the other end as I let them be, wandering across the street to meet up with Noelle halfway. She was skipping, as happy as could be when she reached for my hand and stopped in her tracks. She'd read the information in just a few moments before she was skipping along again, right up until we got to the car and she clamored inside. Sergei handed my phone back with a grin as we climbed in and slammed the doors shut.