Chapter 33: Gathering Storm

MORRIE

MORRIE

IT TAKES courage to step into the darkness, to prepare for uncertainty and to face the unknown.

Harriet, being the bravest among the four of us, led the party into the hidden room. The forsaken path was dimly lit by the lamp held by Wilhelmina. I could see nothing but an endless abyss inviting us to walk right into it.

The door behind us automatically closed, startling us who already got lured inside. Aiden tried to force it open, but his strength wasn't enough to make the door budge. There's no way of escape as this situation became a point of no return for us.

"Stay close," Harriet whispered as we went on the narrow pathway. We had no choice but to continue moving forward. The chilling atmosphere and the darkness enshrouding the room worsened the circumstances.

As we got deeper into the pitch-black room, we observed a human figure ahead of us. We could see a mask covering his face and a bloody blade in his left. He was only staring at our direction as if he was waiting for us to make the first move.

"Stand back!" Harriet yelled, charging into the man. She swang the wooden stick not directly at the man in front of her, but at the blunt weapon in his hand. The blade flew meters away from the mysterious man. Sliding, Aiden was quick to grab it on the floor.

Now that the weapon was removed, Harriet wouldn't have a hard time beating that man. Despite us being school rivals, it would be unfair if I would not recognize one of her strengths. As a statement to that fact, she singlehandedly faced the hound earlier and saved the rest of our team.

"Ano, lalaban ka pa?" she taunted.

But the masked man was unfazed by the threat. He kicked Harriet on the leg, causing the Holmesian to fall on one knee. If that person thought he already had an advantage over her, he was mistaken. As soon as her knee hit the floor, Harriet grabbed the man by his leg and pulled him down. We heard a thud as his body hit the surface.

"You've made a wrong move!" Harriet stood over the man, pointing the stick at his neck. We gathered around him to make him feel that any form of resistance would be futile. He's badly outnumbered and he was fortunate that the Holmesian did not beat him to a pulp.

"Okay! Okay! That's enough!"

In an instant, the light went on in the room, illuminating the once dark hall. The so-called hidden room looked like a simple living room. Pieces of furniture were moved to one side, giving more space at the center.

We then heard an applause coming from both sides. Familiar faces began appearing within our eyeshot. For a second, my teammates seemed to be lost by what was happening.

"Congratulations, Team WHAM!" The man on the floor removed his mask, revealing his face. That's none other than our instructor, Professor Dred. "Pwede mo na ba akong patayuin?"