Chapter 27: Enemies on All Fronts

MORRIE

MORRIE

THE CLUE to the next location vanished as the white smoke dispersed. Aiden was too careless to not secure that piece of paper. But this was no time for finger-pointing.

Appearing and disappearing amidst the puff of smoke, Andre ran away while waving our second clue. If only this wasn't a special activity, I would have used my influence as a consultant to the House Council and order him to return that thing to us.

I might also be careless to not expect the other teams to ambush us. Each team was given a unique clue so the thought of ours being stolen did not cross my mind. I only realized it when the cannister was rolling to our direction.

"HOY! IBALIK MO 'YAN SA AMIN!" Aiden wasted no time and chased after the escaping Moriartian. He ran as fast as he could to catch up with him.

"Let's go," Wilhelmina urged as she also ran after the thief as well. Easier said than done. Unlike her, I did not have much energy to spare. Running is exhausting.

I had no choice but to follow them. Andre is way more athletic than I am and he runs faster than I do. Running for a hundred of meters wouldn't be a problem to him.

"IBALIK MO 'YAN!" Aiden's loud voice echoed, disturbing the spirits resting deep within the woods. He was only one or two meters away from the thief. I wish he could end this chase sooner. My legs were about to give up and I almost ran out of breath.

"Bleh! Bleh!" Andre teased as he sped up. If my aim was only spot on, I would have thrown an object at him to stop him from running.

"HOY! KAPAG HINDI KA—ARGH!"

The Adlerian tripped on something and fell face first on the moist ground. Mud stains were all over his pants while his face twisted in agony.

When Wilhelmina and I caught up with him, I panted heavily and waited to catch my breath. If she were here, Harriet wouldn't let this chance pass without insulting me. "How clumsy. Did a pebble trip you or something?"

"Not pebble." The Watsonian was closely observing something on the spot where Aiden tripped. She pulled a thread-like object stretched a few meters above the ground and showed it to us. "Yarn. Same color with the ground."

"A trap?" Aside from that smoke bomb, the other team had something up in their sleeves. They came prepared for us. But how?

"Ano pang ginagawa n'yo? Bakit hindi n'yo siya habulin?" Aiden groaned. He was able to stand, but he looked like he sprained his right ankle.

"We won't catch up to them anyway." I gazed at the path where Andre ran off. His footsteps were no longer echoing in the area.

"Pero paano na ang challenge na 'to?" Aiden asked. "Basta-basta na lang ba tayong susuko? Gusto n'yo bang pagpapaluin tayo ng stick ni Harriet?"