Part 3

A B A L O N

I stare as Ivan flits around the nursery touching things and straightening some of the stuffed animals on the shelves, Javier leans against the door frame also staring at the male.

"Oh my! This is so pretty!" Ivan squeals hugging a stuffed elephant to his chest.

Javier smiles and walks into the room stopping at my side while Ivan sits at the chair on the side of the crib.

Javier stiffens while Ivan touches the soft bedding inside the blue crib. I watch on as Javier waits until Ivan looks up with a favorable smile upon his lips and I can't take another moment of it.

Javier looks at me looking between them and I scoff when Ivan calls him over and I want to throw up at Javier seeking Ivan's approval about where the pup I'm bearing will sleep and play. I leave. I walk quickly into the woods seeking some form of quiet.

It's two weeks away from my due date but as it stands I feel as if the pup would come any second now.

I walk for what feels like five minutes and that is when the first wave of pain takes me. I scream out. Oh Goddess, I've never felt pain like this. What Javier did to me feels like nothing compared to this.

I pant as I turn back around and walk back the way I came from. When the house comes into view another pain fill scream escapes my lips and Javier is at my side in a second.

"He's coming!" is all I get out before I'm swept up in Javier's arms and rushed to the clinic where the pack doctor performs emergency C-section surgery.

Javier is with me every second of it holding my hand, wiping sweat off my forehead and whispering reassuringly to me. Praising me, telling me how proud he is and how well I'm doing.

"Oh Goddess." Javier breathes when the first wail is heard. The pup screams loudly demanding attention. He'll be a dominant wolf.

The pup is placed on my chest and the first contact makes my wolf purr.

Javier is kissing my face all over, thanking me for giving him such a perfect legacy.

I cry hard. He's so perfect and it is then that I realize we never chose a name for him.

"Avery." I whisper the name that the pup mewls to.

"Avery Abraham Morales." Javier agrees and kisses both our pup and me.

I am stitched up while the pup is being cleaned and clothed, Javier calming my wolf. Instincts kicking in and all my inner beast wants to do is protect what's ours.

A nurse comes in and tries to wipe me down but Javier growls and takes over the poor omega's job. Cleaning me gently and clothing me in a soft cotton gown. I am to stay here for the next three hours so my stomach would heal enough that I can move around without bursting the stitches.

"First feeding dads." the nurse that took Avery away comes back with him swaddled adorably in a blue blanket and hat.

She hands me Avery carefully and then comes back with a warm bottle of formula which she hands to Javier.

"Like this." she puts the bottle nipple against Avery's lower lip and he latches on.

"Ensure you keep the nipple filled otherwise he'll suck in air okay." Javier nods and takes over bottle duty while I hold Avery in place for his first feeding.

Avery holds onto my pinky finger in his tiny hand and squeezes in time with his suckling of the bottle of formula. The nurse looks on at us with adoration in her eyes until Avery keeps spitting out the nipple.

"That means he's had his fill." she comes over when Javier removes the bottle and she takes him from me after he mewls and wipes his mouth with a clean soft rag.

"Here Beta Javier. You hold him like this." she adjusts him in Javier's hands and shows him how to gently support Avery's bum and head since he's too small to support his own neck.

Javier sways gently while staring at me with the pup in his arms and I can't look away as Javier holds me captive in his eyes.

He looks so good holding our pup. So gentle he is with the bundle in his arms.

Javier's eyes widen dramatically as Avery burps loudly. Too loudly for a newborn and I just crack up. Laughing hard but at the same time trying not to burst my stitches. The nurse and Javier laugh too and Avery mewls.

"Okay so I'll put him down in the crib right next to you mama wolf." she says but the further Avery goes from us he starts crying.

"Okay then." she places Avery on my chest and he wiggles until he's comfortable, his crying ceases when Javier sits next to me on the bed and places a hand on his back.

"I'll be at the front desk when you're ready to leave and I'll just give you some more guides in terms of how to handle the baby." the nurse says and I nod gratefully. There's only so much preparation you can do when you're holding a doll and not a real live baby so we'd really need all the guides we can get.

"Thank you." Javier whispers when I look up to him with a small smile.

"For what?" I frown.

"For him. For giving me a family." I nod. We're not a family I want to say but the way he's looking from me to Avery I don't want to spoil the first moments with his pup, our pup.

Javier shifts so that his arm is around my head playing with my hair while his other hand is still lying gently on the pup and I close my eyes to get some rest. Surgery is no laughing matter. It takes a lot out of a person to go through that regardless of being supernatural or not.

When I wake my eyes snap open in search of my pup but I go still when I see Javier singing to Avery in his arms while he kisses the pup's forehead. Nothing could have prepared me for seeing and hearing Javier sing. I recognize the song and my breath hitches.

The lyrics cut me deep as Javier's surprisingly lovely voice rasp the words. I pretend to still be asleep until he finishes his song.

"Hey." I call softly and Javier looks at me with a smile and I smile back and sit up. I feel much better. I pull the neck of my gown and look down at my stomach. It healed nicely but not completely. Another two or three days and all I'll have is a thin white scar.

"Ready to go home?" Javier asks.

"Yea. Avery should be in his home." I dismiss the flash of pain in Javier's eyes, the way he tenses up and his breath of air when I stress the word 'his'.

*********************************************************************

A/N

Hi. Sorry I'm late. Family stuff came up.

Hope you guys enjoyed.