Part 2

J A V I E R

Four months pass and Abalon has not yet woken.

Over and over I watch that video of Abalon at the party. The gracefulness he moved with. Confidence I've never seen except when it has to do with defending our pack.

"That's his best fake smile." my head turns slightly at the voice, it is just Yana.

"Why do you say that?" I ask. It looks real enough to me.

"When he smiles for real the corners of his lips crinkle up and his eyes..." Yana trails off and I wait patiently for her to continue.

"His eyes shine. Remember that summer when we were kids and went on that camping trip during our training?" Yana asks looking at me.

"Yea. We watched the stars with Alpha's new telescope." I reply.

"Abalon's eyes are like those stars when he smiles for real. Twinkling at you and pure." Yana sits next to me on the sofa.

"I've never seen him smile like that." I mutter.

"He used to. Until he realized his mate was in love with someone else. Lusted after someone else." every quiet word hit me like a well-placed bitch slap and I couldn't even retaliate or defend myself because it is all true.

I said someone else's name while my cock was buried inside him for fuck's sake.

"You killed his smile. You broke his heart and I am ashamed to call you my blood." she's hitting my shoulder, tears coursing down her cheeks and I let her pound on me, curse at me till her arms are tired and she can't say a coherent word anymore. Falling into a heap on my chest she cries for my mate.

My eyes sting and my heart fall apart inside me. Jarrell comes in, his eyes scanning for his mate. I hand her over to him and her crying eases slightly while he presses his lips to her mark. A visible shudder slides down her spine.

Abalon has never felt that. The unbidden thought runs through my mind and I look away from my Yana and her mate. Shame killing me from the inside out.

Yana's phone beeps but I ignore it. I can't wait for Abalon to wake up so that I can grovel at his feet for forgiveness.

"Javier, it's Aba, he's awake!" Yana screeches excitedly and everything in me stops.

I open my mouth about a dozen times, thoughts escape me together with the ability to form a sentence and my limbs forget how to move.

"Javier did you hear me? Aba's awake." Yana says again gentler. I finally get my bearings back when her hand comes down on my shoulder and my fingers wipe away the moisture in my eyes.

"Yea." I whisper yet my limbs won't move.

"You guys can go on ahead. I-I'll join you in a moment."

Yana and Jarrell leaves me sitting on the sofa and when they leave I finally let go. Taking in a shuddering breath my eyes burn and tear up, my heart literally shakes in my chest while I sob silently praying to the Goddess.

I don't know if it were my prayers or Yana's prayers, I'm just glad they were answered. I don't know how long I am on my knees thanking the Goddess for this miracle.

Making my way down to the hospital I avoid the wide eye stares of my fellow pack mates only focusing on what will happen once I get into Abalon's room.

I don't know what to expect but when I do enter that room all the air in my lungs leaves till my chest burn from lack of oxygen.

Abalon is standing; the front of his gown opened as he gently rubs his swollen stomach full with my pup.