Chapter 27

So how have you been Neo?" Eric asked as he strolled casually, his arms crossed behind his head while he stared up at the sky.

"Decent."

Neo wasn't in the mood for chit chatting, in fact he was slightly pissed off that Jacquelyn had let him go so easily. He was even more pissed off that Eric had interrupted them, although now that he thought about it, Eric used to piss him off all the time so that alone could have been the reason why he wasn't so surprised about that.

"So, who's that half-breed you got chained to you? She seems pretty wild for you," Eric asked, his body language giving off a vibe that made Neo sick.

"Don't call her that. She has a name, and she's none of your business," Neo hissed. Why am I even here?

"Whoa, chill man. I was only asking. You're normally into smaller, timid girls. At least you were."

That was when Neo realized that something seemed off.

Eric in the past had been a care free type of guy, and once in a blue moon, actually pleasant to be around. He was smart enough to know what buttons to press if he wanted to get under someone's skin, and he knew when to back off. Neo had only tolerated the kid because of his sister who he used to be with. Or, in more accurate terms: was betrothed to.

Yuria Winter, his wife to be. Or at least was.

She was a nice girl, small, timid. Just like Eric described. But the problem with the whole ordeal was that Neo and her had been childhood friends. He never saw her in that way, but she did. She went to her parents and because they were leeches always hungry for more power, they agreed and made the arrangements.

When he found out about it, it was almost as if water had been splashed into his face. The once kind and caring Yuri he knew turned out to be no better than the rest of her family. He had felt betrayed, abused. Once the wedding was locked he had no choice but to run. Yuri had become a complete different person. She showed her true colors once she thought he would be hers, none of which were beautiful like she used to be. She became vile, wicked. She was almost an exact replica of her mother and her father in one small body.

But that was the past.

Neo stopped walking and turned to face Eric head on. "What's the real reason you wanted to talk to me? You're not like I remember."

Eric scoffed, his green eyes turning cold and hard. "Me? I'm not how you remember? That's real cheap coming from you."

Neo frowned, his jaw clenching as he tried to keep his cool. "If you're going to just stand there and brood, I'm going back to Jacquelyn." Neo had turned to walk away when Eric grabbed his arm to stop him.

"You're not going to at least visit my sister after what you did?" Eric's grasp on Neo tightened, making Neo speak through clenched teeth.

"If she wants to see me that bad she can come and visit me herself." Neo ripped his arm out of Eric's hand and tried to make an escape once more.

"It'll be hard for to do that seeing how she's dead."

Neo froze in his tracks. What did he mean by that? He couldn't actually be serious...

Spinning on his heel, Neo turned to face Eric once more only to be greeted by a bony hand turned into a fist.

Eric's punch landed with a hard thud, making Neo see white for only a second. "Of fucking course she's dead and it's because of you!"

Neo fell to the ground, his hand over his nose which he was sure was bleeding by the way copper filled his sense of smell. Apparently he must have spoken aloud, unless Eric gained some sort of mental powers while he was gone. At least Eric was kind enough to allow him time to recover.