Chapter 9

Neo woke up with a start, bashing his wrist into the metal control table in front of him.

"Ow!!"

A musical laugh erupted from above followed with a soft apology.

"I wanted to let you know that it's morning and figured you would want some coffee," Jacquelyn chirped happily.

"..."

Neo stared at the metallic cylinder skeptically.

"What did you do to it?"

Jacquelyn rolled her eyes and put the cup into his hands and went back to her seat. They were currently inside their- Neo's new ship and already heading towards the Lexin galaxy where The Sonar were last seen. Neo had been piloting all night but finally seemed to find his head and sometime last night set the ship to auto drive and past out in his seat. She had just found him snoring away not even 30 minutes ago before she decided a nice hot mug of coffee would be greatly appreciated. As she snuck a peek at the stubborn Vaulkarian beside her she saw him happily sipping the dark liquid with his eyes closed.

"You're welcome," she chimed as she slowly woke up the ship to manual drive.

"It doesn't taste... " Neo's voice trailed off to which Jacquelyn narrowed her eyes at.

"Doesn't taste like what?" She glared.

"As bad as I thought," he finally finished with a satisfied shrug and continued to chug it down.

"Yeah... I'm sure that's what you were going to say," Jacquelyn growled under her breath as she started typing wildly at the screens before her, entering coordinates and individual orders for each engine and electrical asset the ship ran. She had eventually zoned out into her coding she hadn't felt Neo's auburn eyes stare at her in wonder. He stared and stared until the very plump skin of her lips were imprinted into his mind. He wasn't sure what was coming over him. Sure he could have an occasional fling with a girl, make her feel like a woman and hate their poor excuses of a husband at the same time; but this girl was nothing like that, and all this time together, he was finally starting to see that.

Neo rose from his seat, swirling his coffee gently in his cup as he walked towards her and stood behind her. He reached out and stole a lock of her ever changing dark hair, running his fingers through it softly, taking note that her hair was the equivalent of feathers. Just by the simple act of stirring her dark glowing strands, the sweet smell of a warm scent he couldn't quite name filled his nose. He smiled, the scent suited her gentle nature but was the last thing he expected from her. He had imagined maybe a sweet smelling flower like most girls, a rose or lilac, perhaps even a lavender but then again he should have known better, for she wasn't like most girls. No this smell was almost tropical with how rare it was. Maybe it was just her. Maybe he was just too hung up right now to think properly so the name would come later, he didn't know. He did know though that she was intoxicating. He nearly felt whipped at this point and there wasn't even a reason for it.

Jacquelyn forced herself to pay no mind to the invasive hand that continued to pet her hair, or at least she tried. Her weakness won the moment he pulled her hair back from around her shoulders and freed her neck to the slightly chilly air of the space around them. She had to close her eyes and release a shaky breath to keep her fingers from entering a wrong code. She unwillingly tilted her head to the side, showing more of her neck, her body's wants winning against her own mind.

"Tell me co-pilot. How is she flying?" He asked in a husky voice, his very sound and breath tickled her ear.

"She's top of the class Captain. She'll fly true and shoot straight if need be," she said. Her eyes shut tighter while her mind tried to think of anything else but the attractive male behind her; but no matter her effort, her mind did the exact opposite. Another battle she had lost.