Chapter 10

Neo took the controls and slowly eased the ship in front of the giant Sonar gunner in front of them. Or well, gunners. Five different ships stood armed and ready to shoot them down and currently demanded their objective.

"What business do you have here? The commander is not expecting anyone from a Crex warship." A rough, almost scaly voice sounded through the radio.

"This is Neo Adranni coming for Tamara Aramat. I have his codes so he better have her or I rip these things to shreds."

Jacquelyn wanted to scream the moment Neo gave up their mission. Was he crazy?! He was going to get them all killed at this rate and then she was really going to kick his redundant ass.

"You will be allowed to pass under heavy escort. Try anything stupid and you'll regret it."

The gunners all parted and allowed a narrow path to the main headquarters that screamed authority and also death. Death. Which was exactly what was going to happen now because Neo had to open his big mouth and instead of going over the plan that they had already been over several times. . . Now they were going to have to come up with something else entirely without the ability to even communicate about it.

"Are you crazy?!" Jacquelyn mouthed angrily not daring to actually say anything due to the fact they could most likely hear them with their weird Sonar gear she had heard so many stories about since they were so close.

Neo just gave her a firm nod and shook his hand as if to signal her everything would be okay and he that knew what he was doing. More like he waved her off, which left Jacquelyn gaping at him, her eyes sending him daggers more lethal than any blade you would find within The Twelve Galaxies. Maybe in the entire Multi-verse for that matter.

Great. So now he knows we're going to die and he doesn't seem to care. Perfect. Just fucking prefect.

Jacquelyn counted her blessings and hoped maybe she wouldn't go to hell for coming along to do something so stupid when the ship landed inside the loading dock. She tried to see any chances of them getting out of this alive when Neo leaned over and whispered very quietly into her ear.

"They don't know you, this ship won't allow thermal scanners to slip through. They think I'm alone. I know your skills, hide and then sneak inside. I've already sent you a photo of Tamara in your link. Use it to identify her and then leave. I'll be right behind you."

Neo then stood up quickly and exited the ship leaving her behind in shock. She didn't have long to hide when the ship doors opened again and soldiers came to search the area. Slightly panicking, Jacquelyn dropped to the floor so she could to slip into the crawl space under the control table. It was a space used for maintenance checks but for now it served its job as the perfect hiding spot. She held her breath and made sure she was completely hidden within the dim red light as she saw the soldiers scan the room before moving on to the next. The air was hotter here and she could feel her skin begin to sweat when the guards came back and debated over what they should do next.

"Leave a small post here. I found women's clothing in a room and I doubt that Vaulkarian scum would fly alone for so long."

Another soldier let out a cruel laugh, "or you know the girl could have been a fling. I mean he is Vaulkarian. Those bastards get laid more than we get paid. I think it'll be fine. Besides, he's inside now and knowing how much Dun'mar hates his guts he won't be leaving. He'll probably just drop the guy dead after he hands the war codes over."

Jacquelyn's heart skipped a beat as a low fury broiled under her skin.

"You're probably right. Let's go then."