"Four days?" Was I surrounded by Faust lookalikes all this time? What kind of advanced torture method is that?

Rick finally let go of me and said, "You'd wake up half-conscious, mumbling all sorts of strange things. I'd feed you mashed food and give you some water; then you'd go back to sleep. You had me worried."

"Believe me, I wish I woke up earlier." I looked around me and saw a square table, a tidy desk, and a hanging map. "Where are we?"

"We carried you to my guest room. My neighbor is a well-known physician, so I thought it would be best if you stayed at my house."

"I still can't imagine that you were worried about me."

He smacked me on the head and said, "I'm not some kind of heartless monster."

"Only a heartless monster would hit a sick person."

"You're all better now, so it doesn't count."

"You win this time," I smiled.

It was fun to joke with Rick. These few moments of banter were enough to relieve the stress of the past days. As I continued to smile, however, I remembered the people of Ashenbrook.

"Rick, what happened to Ashenbrook? Are the townspeople still..."

"Don't worry. Most of them woke up. Professor Zahr said that Belphegor's defeat affected space and mana flow and whatnot. Of course, some people couldn't return to our world, and we buried them."

This news was bittersweet. I thought of Alex. His hand had been the first to support me when I was falling into Belphegor's stomach. He never gave up. He knew that he couldn't return to life but chose to fight for everyone else.

"What's wrong, Lance?"

"Nothing." I quickly wiped my watery eyes.

"Are you feeling sick?"

"No, no," I smiled and stood up. "Where's everyone else? I've had enough of your company, you know."

"Well, excuse me for caring the most," Rick said, relaxing his back against the chair. "Professor Zahr and Master Azemir were summoned to the capital."

"The capital?"

"Yes, the emperor wants to see them."

"Are they in trouble?"

"Trouble? Hah, of course not!" Rick laughed. "Professor Zahr has evidence to present, and because you were unconscious, Master Azemir went to testify as your legal proxy."

"That's a relief," I smiled. "Rick... I want to go to—"

"You're not fit for travel," he interrupted.

"I made new friends in Ashenbrook. I want to make sure they're safe and to say goodbye."

"Sit down, Lance."

"Rick, you can't say no."

"I didn't say no; I said sit down." He got up. "I will go rent us a ride to Ashenbrook, or do you prefer to walk there?"

"No, a ride's great!"

After an hour, I was walking out of Rick's house. At the end of the walkway through his small garden, a carriage was waiting. I could tell at first glance that it was fancier than anything I could rent. He had probably thought of the best way to get me to Ashenbrook without worsening my health.

"Easy does it," Rick said as I boarded the carriage. It was strange to see him so concerned about my health. I must've caused him a scare when I passed out.

"It's going to be a long trip." I stretched my arms and looked out the window.

"The driver said we'll arrive tomorrow morning," Rick said.

The carriage began to move. Azuria's cityscape morphed into open meadows, vegetable fields, and grassy hills. The winding road ran across the countryside, and farmers greeted us whenever they saw us passing by.

"Lance," Rick said, "the power that you used in the fight against Belphegor. Professor Zahr told us that it was a unique form of magic. Is that true?"

"Well..." I looked away. "Maybe."

"I couldn't believe it. You barely know one healing incantation."

"I couldn't believe it either," I said.

"Well, you know what Master Azemir and I think about magic. It's not your best ally in battle; it's dangerous and fickle."

"Ugh, another lecture!" I complained but also felt relieved.

"I won't tell you to refrain from using it," Rick said. "I just want you to be careful. If you use it responsibly, you may learn more about yourself and your parents."

My parents?

Folding his arms, Rick continued, "Such a unique power may be hereditary. Your father or mother could've had it too."

I felt that Rick was right. Since being a Void Mage was a rare occurrence, it must've had ties to my forgotten past. Zeke Yuchi thought of the power as nothing but a curse, but for me, it might become a link to my lost memories.

"I'll use it responsibly and see what happens," I smiled.

That was my answer, short and simple. Thoughts about the matter, however, didn't leave my mind throughout the trip. It was strange how I knew very little about my childhood. My amnesia must've been caused by a calamity, or it wouldn't have lasted for so many years. But would I ever remember what happened? Would I ever recall my life before Rick and Master Azemir found me in the labyrinth?

At night, pensive and melancholic, I went to sleep. The carriage wasn't very comfortable, and the smallest pebbles made it dance up and down. But I still rested well, probably because of my lingering exhaustion. On the next day, I woke up to Rick's voice: "Lance, we're there." I opened my eyes. The sun was shining on the blue horizon.

"Are you sure?" I asked, still half asleep.

"Yes, I'm sure."

I wiped my eyes and saw sweeps of grass, arable farmlands, and fruit-clad groves. I stuck my head out of the window.

"You're going to fall."

"I won't."

Looking ahead, I saw Ashenbrook, or what was left of it. Most of the houses lay in ruins, more unwelcoming than ancient tombs. The wood and stone were still smoldering after the fires. And new gravestones loomed in the hilly background. As the carriage got closer, I also saw men in black leather armor.

Don't tell me... Are they cultists? (I think I may have been traumatized.)

"Who are these people?" I asked Rick.

He looked ahead and said, "They're the Imperial Guard. They were deployed to maintain order in the area."

The carriage suddenly stopped. Several members of the Imperial Guard accosted the driver. Rick and I heard a brief conversation that involved crass comments and derisive laughs. Then the imperials turned their attention to us.

"Step out," one of them said. "Passage through this area is forbidden by an Imperial Notice, and you've violated the law by driving this far."

I jumped out of the carriage and was about to speak out, but Rick quickly covered my mouth with his hand.

"We're here to visit some of the victims, sir," Rick said. "I think it was mentioned in the notice that visits are allowed."

"Not on my shift."

I removed Rick's hand and shouted, "If you don't let us through―"

Before I could finish my sentence, five swords had been drawn at me. My voice died out, but I was relentless. I couldn't let the Imperial Guard stop me from seeing Marie and Reinfried. As I tried to figure out how to get past them, however, a familiar voice suddenly came from a distance:

"Please lower your swords. I've been expecting them for days."