30. Ashenbrook

After I had defeated Belphegor, I found myself walking in a dark tunnel. I was inside the labyrinth. I felt the dampness of the rocky walls, shivered with the coldness of the air, and smelled the faint odors of the minerals. Why was I here? Was I transported by one of Belphegor's unknown powers? Was this a new trap? I looked around me but found nothing that could answer my questions.

Just when I thought that the Ashenbrook quest was over...

As I sighed and shook my head, I caught a glimpse of a shadow at the end of the tunnel. Someone was running away. Immediately and almost instinctively, I started in pursuit. One step following the other, I ran as fast as I could until I cornered the shadow in one of the caverns. As I approached, I could tell that it was Marie whom I had been chasing. She gave me her back, but I recognized her from her height, clothes, and hair.

"What are you doing here?" I said.

She didn't answer.

I put my hand on her shoulder and added, "Marie, what's wrong?"

"Don't be afraid, Lance. I will make your dreams come true." Marie turned around. Her face was a replica of Faust's.

My eyes—they hurt! I cringed at this abomination and left the cavern in a hurry. What did I see back there? Please erase my memories!

Eventually, I found myself inside another cavern. My shock and confusion had led me all the way there. After a few steps toward the center, I heard a noise in the corner. I saw long silver hair and a top hat.

"Demetrius, what's happening? Are we in a cursed realm?"

Sitting on a rock with his head hanging low, he said, "After I spent so much effort to revive the cult and keep them in check, this Great Creator told me he could not bring my daughter back." He raised his head, and I saw Faust's face again. It was another shock for me. As he tried to grab me, I turned around and returned to running.

All right, Lance, you must be dreaming. Wake up before it's too late. I pinched my face and felt pain. Wait... When you pinch yourself in a dream, do you dream the pain? Is my whole life a lie?

Entering the third cavern, I found Wilhelm immersed in reading.

If Faust's face appears one more time, I swear I'll...

I placed my hand on Wilhelm's shoulder and forced him to look my way.

"Kenos Vir! You will regret your decision!" Belphegor's face grimaced at me.

"No! Not this too!" I shrieked.

I turned around but found a crowd in front of me. Rick, Erica, Alex, Reinfried, the cultists, and the townspeople—they all had Faust's face and the same cold expression. As they flooded into the cavern and shouted Faustian quotes, I screamed my lungs out.

***

"Aaaaaah!" I jumped out of bed.

"What's wrong, Lance?" Rick was sitting on a bedside chair.

"Phew, it was just a dream." I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"All this screaming over a dream?" Rick sighed. "You cause trouble even when you're bedridden."

"That's my forte: causing you trouble," I smiled and fell back into the bed.

"You little brat!" Rick caught me and wrapped his arm around my neck.

"Come on, Rick, let go!"

"No, not after all that you've made me go through." Rick's muscular arm almost smothered me. "You've been asleep for four days."