9. The Soul of Chivalry

"You can use your swords. No other weapons are allowed," Demetrius said. "You must not inflict any serious wounds. A drop of blood gives you victory. Commence!"

Show me your skills, Reinfried.

I took the offensive. My footwork was calculated, but I made it seem as if I had been rushing without thought. I laid a trap; I was luring Reinfried close to me. The moment he tried to counter-attack, I would blindside him and knock him to the ground.

My plan seemed promising. I thought that the duel would be over in a flash, but I was too optimistic. Reinfried didn't take my bait. Nimble on his feet, he backed away and avoided my sword.

"Oho, Lance's attack was impressive," Demetrius said.

You may have avoided my trap, Reinfried, but this is just the beginning.

I lunged forward and attacked with more persistence. Reinfried, however, continued to jump around. When I targeted his legs, he sidestepped elegantly. When I aimed at his shoulders, he bent back and allowed my blade to pass. He was dancing as if in an imperial ballroom. Every time I swung my sword, he was already out of reach. The way he read my moves was annoying, and chasing him began to tire me out.

"Your offensive skills are above-average," he said, "but can you defend yourself with as much skill and composure?"

His stance suddenly changed. There was a glow in his eyes, and his smile transformed into a menacing glare. He advanced toward me and swung his sword. I avoided the blade, but it cut my sleeve near my shoulder. He had wanted to leave a tiny scratch that would end the duel, but his sword had missed by a hair.

He's fast. And I couldn't predict his attack at all.

He didn't give me time to recover and advanced again. His sword pounced on me, and I blocked and deflected its talons. Every attack forced me to retreat a step. The clangs shook my ears and dampened my spirits. He was overpowering me with sheer force—an overwhelming burst of strength.

I need to do something before it's too late.

His muscular arms swung one last time, and suddenly, our swords were locked together above my head. He pressed down hard and lowered the weapons toward my face. But I bided my time, then pushed back with a surge of anger. My sudden parry made him falter for a second.

This is my chance.

I counter-attacked with a quick slash and threw Reinfried off balance. He lowered his sword and couldn't raise it in time to block my next attack.

"It's over!" I aimed for his left arm.

"Yes, it is," he smiled.

At that moment, Reinfried didn't back away; he didn't defend his arm; he didn't surrender. Instead, he moved in the way I least expected: he stepped forward. My sword missed its target, and he retaliated with a punch. His fist struck my left cheek. I lost my balance, and while I was falling backward, I watched him swing his sword to end the duel.

No, I won't fail again. Even if the situation is desperate, there's a way out, and I need to keep my eyes open to find it. I needed not only to avoid his attack but also to react with a move that would turn the tide of the contest. My mind went blank for a few seconds, but then came my eureka moment. That's it!

As I fell backward, I realized what I had to do. I turned my sword and stabbed the earth. The blade dug through the dirt and formed a third leg that supported me. Balancing myself in such a way, I aimed a kick at Reinfried's face.

"I won't lose!"

My kick landed, and we both fell to the ground.

***