6. The Sophisticated Clown

On our way down the mountain, we came across a man pulling a handcart. He wore animal skin and carried a bow on his back. A dead deer lay in his cart with an arrow through its neck.

"Hunting?" Arthur stopped for a brief chat.

"Looking for mountain wolves," the man said. "For the pelt."

"Dangerous business."

"Not so much anymore. I can't find a single one in the area."

"Nature has its tricks, and we have ours. Don't give up the search."

"Thanks, friend."

The hunter disappeared into the fog, and our wagon started to move again. After a while, we found ourselves back in Ashenbrook. Small leather signs gave us directions, and we navigated the streets to the heart of the town. The local inn looked onto a street near the market. It was a large house surrounded by white flowers. The windows were decorated with trelliswork, and a couple of balconies protruded from the second floor. I read the words on the fascia, "The Bearded Fox."

"I like the name," I said to Marie. "I was expecting it to be 'The Den of the Ghoul', or something like that."

"Are you calling me a ghoul, Lance?"

"No, sir!"

"Because you're right!" She ruffled her hair and imitated the undead.

"That's a zombie."

"They're all the same to me."

We laughed and got off the wagon. I felt happy that she was opening up and recovering a little. The fact that she could joke was a promising sign. We were about to head inside the inn, but Arthur called us back.

"I've got to go now, lad. Traveling with you has been something else."

"Thanks for everything, Arthur." I took my bag off the wagon. "It was great to have a medic around."

"Ex-medic," he smiled. "Good luck on your quest."

The reins swished, and the horse clopped with a loud neigh. Marie and I waved goodbye until the wagon disappeared around the corner.

"He was kind," she said.

"Yeah, he reminded me of my friends at the guild."

She paused for a moment before she said, "Maybe we shouldn't go inside right away. Do you want to visit the market first?"

"Don't tell me you're afraid of home too." I teased her with a smile.

"Of course not! But... I don't remember my parents... or how long I've been away. How will they react when they see me?"

"I'll explain what happened, and they'll understand. Don't overthink."

She nodded, and we headed to the entrance.

"Excuse me," I said as I pushed the door open. "Is the innkeeper here?"

I walked into the main hall. There were wooden benches and tables everywhere. A menu board hung on a wall, and the smell of fresh bakery filled the air, but the place seemed empty, giving me the impression that business was stale. I walked to the front desk, and Marie hid in my shadow.

"I'll jump sideways as soon as your parents appear."

"I'll kill you if you do that!"

"Come on, Marie, they're your own parents."

"Yes, but I don't remember anything about them."

I sighed and called again, "Is anyone there? I'd like to rent a room."