Not a Cage

I slowly open my eyes and the light blinds me at first. I feel the ground. It feels as though there are leaves on it. Not the dry grass the covers the prison yard. I move my arms around and my hand grazes over something cold. Cold like metal. I grasp it in my hands and hold it over my head. It’s a gun. I sit up and rub my head.

 I look around. Nothing but trees surround me.

“Where am I?” I ask myself and look around even more.

“Gemma.” A familiar voice calls out to me.

I look up and see hazel eyes.

“Andrew?”

“It’s time to get up.” He tells me and he slowly disappears.

Blue eyes. That’s the first thing I see when I wake-up.

“Are you okay?” he asks me.

I slide the sleeping bag down and stand up.

“I’m fine.” I lie

My stomach growls and I clutch it in a failed attempt to silence it.

“Is there by some miracle any food left?” I ask and chuckle

“I’m sorry Gem.” He shakes his head.

“Is everyone ready?” Rick yells out to us.

I run to my back pack grab my knife and place it in my boot and I hold the axe firmly and make my way to the gate. I run my fingers over the carved in initials.

Before Rick opens the door Jess walks up to me. “Break a leg.” She says and chuckles and walks off to the fence.

Rick slides the gate open and we run through-making sure to stay in our tight circle.

The first walker approaches me and I swing and it goes down. A fine mist of red covers my face.

We make it farther in and another walker approaches me. I swing hard and hit the walker on the top of its skull. But it doesn’t come out when I try to pull back. A few more walkers surround me and I let go of the axe. I grab my knife and stab one in the eye and I kick the other in the abdomen.

“Help!” I scream

The last walker is about to overpower me but then an arrow goes right between its eyes.

I step on the head of the walker with my axe and pull. It finally comes out and I run next to Daryl.

“Thanks.” I say out of breath.

“You’re welcome.” He answers

Daryl and I sprint to the group and there fighting walkers in what looks to be riot gear.

When I reach one of the walkers I take my axe and hit as hard as I can on the top of its head. It doesn’t even make a dent. Then again it was pretty stupid to think that an axe could penetrate a guards helmet.

I look over to Maggie and she drives her knife through the neck of the walker.

I lift up the protective visor and dig my knife firmly and release when the walker goes limp.

I run to the last walker. It sits up from being knocked down. I lift the visor and dig my knife into its forehead.

I look around. All the walkers lay dead. We make our way to the first door we see. When Rick opens it the sound of a long creak echoes in the hallway of the prison.

We walk into a room that looks like it would be were the prisoners would stay. Like a common room.

Rick goes to inspect the tower in the room. I put axe in one of my jean loops. I place my knife in my boot.

I turn around and see Daryl and he approaches me.

“Do you think it will last long?” I ask and look around.

He lets out a deep breath. “Sooner or later we’ll have to leave.”

“Yeah I guess your right. But for now I think it will be good.” I tell him.

Rick walks down the stairs. “We’ll hold up here, get our rest, and tomorrow we’ll clear out more.” He tells us.

The rest of the group walks into the prison. Lorie walks up to me. She hands me my back-pack.

“Thanks Lorie.” I say and open it and put my axe in it.

“No problem. I didn’t want anyone messing with it.” She looks pass me and when I look to where her sight is I see Jess.

“Yeah good idea.” I say and walk off.

Rick opens yet another door and it makes almost the same sound of the first.

When I walk through the door I run up the stairs. I walk by the cells and there all empty. I walk by another but it has a walker in cell.

It flings its arms out to try and get me and I jump back from surprise. I slam my back into the railing.

“Oww.” I rub my lower back and bed down to get my knife from my boot. I stand up and quickly push the knife into its forehead and pull it out. And the walker drops.

I lean over the railing

“All clear up here.” I call down

“Thanks Gemma.” Rick yells up

“So do we sleep in the cells?” Beth asks

I watch as Daryl walks up the stairs, walks over to me and snakes his arm around my waist.

“Yes, Daryl and I have a set of keys for all the cells.” He tells her.

“I ain’t sleeping in no cage.” He tells us

I look up at him. “Okay have fun with sleeping on the floor.” I chuckle and walk into a cell that isn’t to stained with the blood of someone else. I drop my bag on the ground and dig through it. I find a towel and rub it on my hands. Trying to remove some of the blood. Then I rub the towel softly on my shoulders. When I’m done I dig through my bag and find the picture of Mavie.

I look at it and place it next to the bed on the ground. I sit on the bed and take off my boots. I lay down on the stained mattress on my side and stare at the blue wall. I feel the bed shift and someone puts there arm around me.

“I thought you weren’t going to sleep in a cage?” I smirk and turn over to look at him.

“It doesn’t feel like a cage when yer here.” He says and I smile.

“I love you.” I whisper and close my eyes and drift off to sleep.