Chapter 1: Diagnosis

(Photo of Sofia </3)

Chapter 1: Diagnosis

"I learned how to spell a new word today, Mía."

I look away from the book I'm reading.

"You did?"

"Mhmm," Sofia hummed, nodding her head. I remember when curls used to flow freely from it. Now, she felt compelled to wear a head scarf. "Look, a-b-s-t-e-n-t-i-o-u-s, abstentious."

She smiled gleefully after successfully spelling out the long word. I would've asked her where'd she heard a term like that from. Afterall, Sofia was only 7 years-old but my surroundings clearly answered that question for me.

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The sixth best Cancer hospital in New York City. I read so online and worked my but off to get Sofia into this hospital for her care. Yes, this is where my younger sister has been residing in for the last 10 months. So I could only assume that it was some type of medical term that a doctor or a nurse probably stated around her. They dealt with a lot of things here.

"Wow good job Sofia. Do you know what it means?"

"Nope."

I laugh. Well, at least she knew how to spell it, what more could I ask for out of a little girl? Either way Sofia was extremely smart for her age and I wasn't just saying that 'cause she's my sister.

Just then Nurse Alex walked into the room showcasing his pearly whites. Alex was a handsome Dominican man, devoted to his marriage and his job. He was no stranger to my family. He was considered to us to be like family.

Alex has been Sofia's nurse for the longest out of anyone here. He's kind and is sorta like a kid when he's around her. He even gave her a nickname, Tinker, only because Sofia loves Tinkerbell and always babbles on about her dream of becoming a fairy.

"Hey there Tinker, how's it been goin'?" He beamed at Sofia. He nodded to me as a greeting as he saw me sitting in a chair by the foot of her bed.

She lifted her tiny body on the bed to face him. "I'm good! I actually feel a little better now too," she answered him.

"That's great then Tinker," he smiled brightly once more.

Alex has helped my family a lot during these hard times. We needed moral support and thankfully there was one person in this world who was willing to provide us with comforting words and show us some compassion, even if it were practically a part of his job.

Alex placed a wheelchair in front of Sofia and she hopped in. I got up, shoved my book into my shoulder bag and exited the room right behind them.

"So what's going to happen?" I ask Alex as we walk towards the elevator.

"Right now we are going to get a few tests done to see Sofia's progress and follow up on her tumor." I nodded.

He rested a calming, warm hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, Mía. Everything is going to be fine, just cross your fingers and remember to keep praying for only the best to happen."

I nodded once again and stopped as I watched them both go inside the elevator, the doors closing off slowly.

"I'll see you tomorrow Sofia."

"'Kay! Love you, Mía!"

The doors shut closed.

I sighed and pressed the button for the next one to the lobby. Time to get to work.

|~|

It was around 7 pm, that's when it usually gets dark around here. That is when I do it. There are some who are brave enough (or foolish enough) to do it out during the day. They sell with such stealth and furtiveness that hardly anyone notices. Well that's besides the people who's buying.