Chapter 17: Bigotry

This chapter is somewhat about a big issue that still goes on to this day. We can't ignore it or try to justify it with any excuses.

Chapter 17: Bigotry

Unfortunately, we weren't going to be staying in the family mansion this whole vacation. Kostas had his own cozy little stay on the other side of town. There's also the whole "we're about to be newlyweds" thing and it's expected that we'd want alone time.

Evening was gradually turning into night and by the time it did everyone was sitting around the table, filled with food and enjoying the extra warmth that came from the fire place. I was no longer sitting in my chair, but on Kostas' lap just as Mrs. Sarantos was on Haemon's. Admittedly, it was very comfortable especially after a full course meal. Kostas gently stroking the side of my thigh as he hummed in my ear in deep relaxation brought me a sort of lazy pleasure.

I looked up to the sky and gasped. "Kostas, look." I whispered.

He slowly opened his eyes. "Hmm?" I pointed to the dark heavens above us. A blanket of stars covered the night sky.

"They're beautiful."

"Mhmm. Not something you often see in the city."

It's true. The city lights in New York shined so bright at night that they blocked out the stars. I didn't used to think much of it, but now that I saw how the bright stars overcame the sky I thanked God for small blessings. This was beautiful.

"Remember the time when we were in Vegas? You told me you had never seen stars before and shrugged like it was no big deal." Kostas pulled a piece of hair out of my face. He whispered in my ear, "I waited until sunset so we could drive out of the city to show you what you were missing out on."

I smiled at the memory.

"Of course, it was a struggle trying to convince you that I wasn't trying to kill you and leave your body out in the dessert for the vultures..."

I laughed. "I just needed to take you far enough from the city, where the lights weren't overwhelming the sky."

I tilted my head further his way. "You know that was one of the best nights of my life, right?"

He looked amused. "Really? Even when you add in the night we-"

"Shut up, shut up, shut up~" I sang. He laughed and kissed my head.

When I turned my attention back to the stars Mrs. Sarantos spoke up. "Elene would be so happy to see you two, especially with such news."

"Yeah Kos, you don't understand how many times a day she's been bugging us about great grandchildren. Even the twins!"

What?

I look to see the twins shaking their heads as if the memory of it in itself caused them exhaustion.

Xanthos leaned in his seat. "I really don't get it. Shouldn't having grandchildren be enough for her."

Loukas' brown curls shifted on his forehead as he whirled his head in his brother's direction. "Learn this boys, nothing is ever enough when it comes to γιαγιά."

"I can't argue with her on that," Haemon added in. "Except that you two will not be making any mo̱rá anytime soon!" He pointed at the twins. They may be juniors, almost seniors and ready to graduate but they're still far too young to have any children and I completely agree. They're still young and want to have their fun, not worry about a family yet. Not to mention that I doubt Haemon would allow them to drop out or act so foolishly, he was always about young people getting their education. Nothing is more important than that.