Chapter 21: The Beautiful Toublemaker

Jaden made his way up to the top of the boat to find Nightshade lounging in a chair.

"Hey Jay." He said, letting out a puff of smoke.

"Smoking's bad for you." Jaden said.

"So is drinking. Your point?"

"I don't have one, just sayin'."

Nightshade let out a sigh. "What do you want?"

"I want you to comfort Rose."

"I'm the last thing she needs right now."

"That's not true." Jaden said walking closer to Nightshade. "You're the only thing she wants right now."

Nightshade sighed and flicked his cigarette butt into the ocean. "Are you gonna keep your promise."

"Which one?"

"If I ever have to leave, you'll take of Rose. Can you still keep that promise?"

Jaden looked confused and concerned. "What's going on?"

"Promise me you'll take care of her."

"Why?"

Nightshade hesitated, then sighed. "I might die soon..."

Jaden gasped. "What are you going to do?" He asked with worry in his voice.

"I'm going to bring my sister back to life." Nightshade said with a smile. "But...the ritual, something's different.." 

"What's different?" 

"The chant. She told me different words than what the actual ritual is...I don't know why. These words don't seem right, they aren't right. The actual chant isn't even in English. But still...it has an 80% chance of killing me in process."

"Why would you take that risk?!" Jaden yelled. "You have Rose, you have your friends. We need you."

"If you had the chance to bring back your mother...what would you give up?" Nightshade said. Jaden froze. "How much would you give up to get rid of the guilt? To finally fix your biggest mistake." Nightshade continued.

"Everything..." Jaden said quietly. He took a seat on the ground next to Nightshade. "Give me a cigarette."

Nightshade handed Jaden on, and flexed his hand, causing a small flame to appear. Jaden lit the cigarette, then took puff. He sighed when releasing the smoke, then laid on his back.

"These powers are more of a burden than a gift." He said.

"No kidding." Nightshade said. "Still...the world needs some heroes."

"No kidding."

The two sat in silence, enjoying the calmness of the open sky.

"What are you going to tell her?" Jaden asked.

"The truth...I'll just leave out the death part." He said with a smirk.

"Good call." Jaden flicked his cigarette butt into the ocean. "We should probably head back."

"Alright." Nightshade said. He pushed himself out of his seat and the two began to walk down, but Nightshade had an idea.

"Wanna have some fun?" He asked.

"What does that mean?" Jaden said. Nightshade grabbed his arm and pulled him to the edge of the roof, the pool in the middle of the main deck was right below them, and so was everyone else.

"You thinkin' what I'm thinkin'." Nightshade said with a smirk.

SCENE CHANGE

Everyone was hanging out on the deck of the boat. Some were in chairs and others were just talking with each other. Rose was curled up in Alexis's lap, still feeling sad. She had stopped crying and was just resting now. Alexis found this to be a bit awkward, but didn't mind too much.