Spirit {11}

He had a dream.

            But it wasn’t about the little boy.

            It was about Malcolm Plague and Oli Skater.

            It started out with Malcolm, about 11 years old, walking nervously towards the school. “Malcolm Plague, welcome,” Mr. Opic said as he led Malcolm to the cafeteria. Malcolm was led to a table with Oli and the rest of Bowser’s gang.

            Oli high-fived him and introduced him to everyone else. The scene changed to show Malcolm fighting against a senior with the gang. He punched the kid in the face and Bowser kicked him as he fell to the ground in a heap.

            Then it changed to a scene with Oli.

            Oli was holding up a trophy and people were cheering. He looked down at someone and smiled. He was embraced by warm arms. The scene changed and Oli was on the floor, a letter clutched in hand and his whole body shaking furiously.

            He bit his lip as tears spilled over his eyes. “IT’S A LIE!” he shrieked desperately, the tears falling hot and fast from his eyes.

            The scene changed yet again to Malcolm. He and Oli were laughing with Roi as they walked through the streets. “Ghetto kids, out of here,” a lady yelled as she hugged her daughter to her body. They laughed harder and flipped her off. The woman hurried inside with her daughter.

            Cody woke up.

            It had been strange. Just random dreams about his new friends. He was shocked however. He had been outside of their bodies! He hadn’t been locked in their minds as he had with the small boy! He had been able to watch the scenes from outside.

            He was so shocked it took him a minute until he realized Oli was screaming.

            Malcolm jumped out of bed, a shocked look on his face. He raced over and started shaking Oli, screaming his name. Oli sat up quickly. He was shaking and sobbing. “No, no, no. It’s a lie,” he sobbed. Cody froze. It’s a lie? That’s what he had said in the dream.

            “Is he okay?” Cody asked fearfully as Malcolm helped Oli to try to calm down. “He…he used to wake up screaming 2 years ago. He stopped last year. I don’t know what’s wrong!” Oli whispered something.

            Malcolm’s ears twitched as he leaned in. “What?” he asked. “Bryin,” Oli whispered. Cody blinked in confusion. Bryin? “It’s okay Oli, it’s over, it’s all over.” Malcolm sounded panicked, however.

            “It’s not over Malcolm! Bryin is coming!” Oli was shaking even harder now. Cody’s head was spinning. What was Bryin? A person? A gang? What?

            Malcolm sighed and gently pushed Oli onto his pillows. “Go to sleep Oli, we’ll talk about it later,” Malcolm said, a sad look in his eyes. “But Malcolm-” “It’s over Oli! You’re not a child, you know it’s over! I don’t want you to be disappointed.” Malcolm turned and went back to his bed. Oli hugged the covers to himself.