Spirit {14} END

Once everyone had been taken back to the school and tended to, they once again sat in Cody and Jake’s room.

            “And yet, there’s still 3 more days until Christmas,” Jake said as he leaned back on his bed. Cody looked at his Skolves egg and smiled. “And for now, we’re safe.” There was a knock on the door and Cody opened it.

            Malcolm and his gang walked in. Bowser walked up to Cody and took a deep breath. “Thanks for saving Malcolm.” Cody nodded. “He’s my friend too.”

            “Hey Cody; we match!” Cody looked at Malcolm. His arm was in a sling. Cody looked down at his own arm resting in a sling. He laughed. “Yes, very observant Malcolm,” he said sarcastically.

            Malcolm’s friends left the room and D snorted. “I hate Bowser,” he said simply. “We know D,” Cody said. He looked at them. He hadn’t even known them for a month yet and he was already so close to them.

            “You’ll make new friends and forget about me dude.”

            Maybe Eli had been right.

            Cody suddenly thought of something. “Wouldn’t humans see us?” he asked in a panic. The others laughed at him. “Dragons are invisible to humans,” Jake said.

            “Seriously Cody,” Joss said. “Do you pay attention in class?” Ross asked. Cody stuck his tongue out at the twins who flipped him off with identical grins.

            They went back to their dorms and fell asleep almost instantly.

            Cody groaned in his sleep.

            Another nightmare began of the little boy.

            The boy was shaking furiously with tears down his face. His breathing was heavy and the woman was holding him.

            A dead body lay before them of a blond man.

            But the drunken man stepped out over it. “You killed him!” the woman screamed. She put her hands over the boy’s eyes. The man yanked her away from him.

            “He needs to see him.” The boy cried harder. “I loved him,” he whispered. He hit the ground as the drunken man’s foot made contact with his face. “We don’t love. Love is weak. You are weak.”

            The boy clenched his tiny fists. But he knew it was true. He was too weak to protect his mother and he had been too weak to protect the dead man lying in front of him.

            Cody woke up.

            He sighed and closed his eyes against the sun light. Why did that little boy keep coming into his dreams? Why did D care about the kid?