Spirit {13}

“Who can transform?” Cody asked. Everyone except Remi and Panchi raised their hands. “Can you transform?” D asked. Cody squirmed a little as they walked through the snow. “Not yet,” he confessed.

            Remi had taken the cast off his leg. He hadn’t broken it; just a sprained ankle. Cody was carrying him on his back. “Will you be okay to fight Remi?” Cody asked.

           Remi nodded. “Yeah,” he said.

          “Okay but you run if I tell you to, got it? Run and get help and don’t stop or look back.” Remi nodded and Cody smiled. 

            Skylar’s pocket began to vibrate and he pulled out a cell phone. He flipped it open and lifted it to his ear lazily. “Hm?” He was silent. His face lit up slightly. “Yeah, I’m fine gram. What? Oh, it’s because I got a split lip.” He was talking like a little kid with a speech impediment because of his lip. He hesitated. “Are they okay?” he asked silently. His face fell. “Okay. No, I understand. Duty and all that. Alright, bye.” He put the phone in his pocket and looked over at D. 

            “Still no?” D asked. Skylar nodded. “True heroes,” he said with absolute respect in his voice.    

            Cody wondered what they were talking about but decided not to get into it. “So how do we take down the dragons? I thought there were supposed to be specialists coming to find everyone,” Jake said. Cody shook his head. “They’ll be too late,” he said with that same gut feeling. “We have to fight them. Once we free everyone we can beat the danger dragons.”

            They walked until they were just one mile away; Cody stopped suddenly and motioned for the group to back up silently. He slowly put his hand on the ground and closed his eyes. He could see up ahead perfectly, as if he were seeing through someone else’s eyes. He looked up at the curious group of kids. “Two dragons guarding the front door from above the trees. Two guarding the back from the ground,” he whispered.

            “We’re all over it,” the twins said. They backed up and began to transform. The only way to tell those two apart was the streaks in their blond manes. Joss’s blond hair was tipped in red and Ross’s was tipped in blue. They spread out their mighty wings at the same time and lifted slowly out of the trees.

            Cody listened with fear as he heard four different roars and the sounds of fighting. One of the trees crashed to the ground on fire and they looked up. Joss blew more fire at his opponent.

            His opponent had a bright red mane. He blew a fireball at Joss which was extinguished by a powerful burst of water from Ross. The water shot like a cannonball at the red mane dragon and he spiraled at the ground unconscious. Joss flew out of sight.

            Another dragon crashed to the ground unconscious and the twins flew down and changed back. They were covered in sweat and breathing heavily. “They weren’t even very strong,” they said together.

            They kept moving. The two dragons guarding the back didn’t come after them. Ross had put out the fire that had been spreading from Joss.