Spirit {10}

Cody walked out of the office and shook his head. “Hey, wait; I don’t remember your name.” Malcolm walked besides Cody. “Cody Smith,” Cody said and held out his hand. “Malcolm Plague.” The two shook hands. “Malcolm, who is this?” Malcolm’s dad was actually taller than Malcolm. He stood at an amazing seven feet six inches.

            “Dad, this is Cody. He helped stop some of the fights with me.” Mr. Plague smiled and shook hands with Cody. “A pleasure,” he said. Cody smiled politely and nodded.

            “Hey, Plague, I think you’re a bad influence.” They all looked over at a woman who ran to catch up. She grinned at Mr. Plague. “Kelly, how are you?” Mr. Plague asked with a smile. “I’m fine. To be honest, I blame myself for Die’s involvement in the whole fight,” Kelly said with a guilty frown.

            “Is his real name Die?” Cody asked Malcolm as the adults talked. Malcolm laughed. “No, his name is actually Damien Ian Ethrin, but everyone just calls him Die.”

            Cody laughed with Malcolm. “Cody, what did I say about fighting?” Cody looked at his mom with guilt on his face. “Mom,” he said, lost for apologies. “Actually ma’am, he didn’t fight. Cody here helped me stop the fights, honest,” Malcolm said.

            Claire looked deep into Malcolm’s eyes and sighed. “Fine, you’re out of this one. But no more fighting!” Cody breathed a sigh of relief. “No more fighting,” he said with a smile. He winked at Malcolm who winked back.

            “I feel kind of bad for Hunter,” Evan said as he came up with Malcolm and Cody. “Why?” Malcolm asked curiously. “Do you know what his full name is?” “No, what is his full name?” “Hunter Number One. I swear to God!” Malcolm and Cody laughed.

            Cody checked his watch and yawned. It was 10! Boy, time flew fast. “Mom, I’m sorry, but I have to get some sleep!” Claire smiled and kissed him on the forehead. “I understand,” she said with a smile. Cody smiled at her and kissed her on the cheek. “Bye mom, bye Evan, bye Malcolm.” “Bye Cody!”

            Cody turned off and walked up the many stairs to his room. Jacob wasn’t in there, but he had expected that. He took off his shirt and his glasses before crashing onto the bed and falling into a deep sleep.

            He was dreaming again.

            He was trapped in the little boy’s body again. “Mommy?” the boy asked with tears in his eyes. His mother was on the floor facedown. “Mommy?” Still no response from her. “MOMMY!” Tears hit the floor.

            He felt a foot on him and he fell to the ground. “No crying you stupid child,” the drunken man said before cussing the boy out. The boy bit his lip and blinked back his tears.

Cody could tell a lot of time had passed. First, the man was a complete mess. He smelled so strong and had become a bit fat. The boy’s hair was longer, not as long as Nevaeh’s, but still long. Cody couldn’t tell what color it was because Nevaeh was right, it was like it wasn’t even there. It was just a thin little curtain.