Chapter Forty-One: Riley Friar

Lucas and I have been trying to get pregnant for a little while now. I find it funny how it was SO easy for Farkle to get me pregnant, but yet it's difficult for Lucas.

...
Emilia is finally asleep and I leave her door open just a crack. Lucas is sitting on the couch watching baseball on the t.v. I sit beside him and have my legs rest on his. Dodgers are playing against Detroit Tigers.

"Who's winning?" I ask.

"Dodgers." He says, smiling. Then he stops and turns off the T.V. He moves a strand of hair behind my ear. "Did you take another pregnancy test?" I shake my head.

"I'm gonna check tomorrow morning." I reply. He nods. "Lucas, if it's a negative, I'm going to the doctor's to check what's going on. It was so easy for Farkle to get me pregnant, why won't it work for you?" He shrugs.

"Sometimes when we get older, it takes more time. I'm sure nothing's wrong, Riley. When was the last time you had your, you know what?" He says. I count the days in my head.

"Over a month ago." I say. I smile real big and Lucas has a questionable look on his face.

"What?" He asks, giving my shoulder a little shove.

"I'm late." I say, smiling.

"How late?"

"Like six days late." I reply.

"Is the pharmacy open right now?" He asks. I shake my head.

"No. But I'll buy a few tomorrow morning." I reply, knowing what he means. He nods and kisses me.

...
We wake up the next morning around 6am with Emilia crying. I quickly hop out of bed and Lucas follows me to her nursery. I change her diaper and dress her quickly. Lucas takes her from my arms.

"I'll feed Emmy and make breakfast for us. You go shower." He says. I nod, smiling. I give him a little peck on the lips.

"Thanks baby." I say. I kiss Emilia on the forehead as she giggles and I go to the bedroom and find an outfit do the day. We're just picking up a few pregnancy tests. I decide on a lime green sweater and capris. I head to the bathroom. I jump in the shower and make sure that the water is really hot. I let it run on my skin as I apply my shampoo and conditioner and body wash on myself. I stand in the shower, letting the water run and massaging my back for a few minutes. I then, jump out and wrap a towel around my body and blow dry my hair, adding leave-in conditioner to make my hair wavy. I do my makeup and put on my clothes with my sneakers and walk out of the bathroom. Lucas is already holding Emilia and all ready to go. I smile and grab her from his arms.

"Ready?" Lucas asks. I smile.

"More than." I reply.

...
We arrive back from the store and I rush to the bathroom and do what all 3 of the boxes say. I time the minutes on my phone and wait, leaning against the counter anxiously. Lucas knocks on the door.

"Riley, how's it going in there?" He asks, his voice sounding a little bit nervous. I check the timing on my phone.

"Just a few more seconds." I reply. He comes in.

"I just put Emmy down for a nap." He says, wrapping his arms around my waist and looking down at the sticks anxiously.

Beep, beep, beep.

I look away.

"Lucas, I don't wanna see it! You tell me what it is!" I say.

"What if I told you it's negative?" He asks. I feel my face flush.

"Is it?" I turn around. He has a straight face, but then smiles real big. "You jerk!" I say, lightly punching him.

"We're having a baby, Riley!" He squeals. I jump into his arms and right away let go. "What?"

"I have to call Maya!" I yell, grabbing my phone. I dial her number and she answers on the 3rd ring. I put her on speaker.

"Hey, Riles! I can't talk long because Hunter should wake up from his nap any minute now. What's up?" She says.

"Maya, Lucas and I are pregnant!" I say.

"Wow, you got Huckleberry pregnant? Congrats, cowboy!" She says. Lucas rolls his eyes.

"Maya." Lucas groans.

"Kidding! Congrats, you two. I'm so happy for you." She says.

"Me too!" I hear uncle Josh say. I smile, but then hear a baby crying on the phone. Hunter.

"I gotta go Riles. Hunter's awake. I'll call you guys later!" She says and hangs up before I can say anything else. Ding, dong.

"Who's that?" I ask. "I wasn't expecting anybody." Lucas shrugs.

"Me neither." Lucas says. We go up to the door and I answer it. And what we see brings anger and sadness in our hearts. Smackle.