Chapter Ten: Maya Hunter

I'm sitting on a curb outside of school, waiting for Lucas and Riley. They're talking to their calculus teacher inside.

Riley is pregnant and I don't know how to fix this. I can't protect her anymore. I feel a tear roll down my eye. Something hits me.

"OW!" I scream. I wipe my eyes and turn around to see what it is. It's a baseball. Great. That's going to be a new bruise. I pick up the baseball.

"Sorry!" Someone with a husky voice says.
I hear running coming towards me and I see a hot brown haired boy who is about my height. He looks at me strangely. "Wow, did it really hurt that bad?" I laugh, flirtatiously. Maya Penelope Hart! What are you doing?! You have a boyfriend!

"No." I say. "I'm just crying about something else."

"What's your name?" He asks, coming closer.

"Maya. Maya Hart." I say. I gaze into his eyes. He offers to shake my hand. I slide my hands in my pockets. He shrugs and does the same.

"Nice to meet you, Maya. I'm Bradley," He says. I smile.

I give him his ball and he leaves. I hear walking behind me as I'm looking at him.

"Who was that?" Riley asks.

"Just someone that threw a ball at me on accident." I reply.

"You sure it was on accident? No one hurts my—" Lucas says. I put up a hand to stop him.

"Yes, Ranger Rick. It was." I interrupt him. He nods and we head off to Topanga's.

                                         •🧩•

I walk in the entrance of Topanga's like a boss like usual and Riley grabs my hand and pulls me to the tiny bay window.

"So, what's going on between you and Uncle Josh?" She asks me.

"Nothing new. I went to his house the other day by using my senior ditch day." I say. She gasps.

"Maya!" She scolds.

"What?" I say.

"We were all gonna do senior ditch day with Lucas, Smackle, Farkle, you and I and go to the amusement park tomorrow!" She says.

I feel my blood get boiled with rage. Calm down, Maya. First of all, Riley shouldn't be going to a amusement park when she is pregnant!

"Why didn't you tell me about it?" I ask.

"Because, I was gonna talk to you about it right now!" She says.

"Then, why did you bring Josh and I up?" I ask.

"Because I wanted to start a conversation! Maya, we have been chatting at the bay window for years and never once have we not brought up a conversation."
She says.

I feel my head go crazy, but getting mad at Riley wouldn't solve anything.

"How long have you been planning this?" I ask, quietly.

"Since a few days ago. Lucas and I were texting about it." She says.

"Oh okay." I say.

Never mind! I feel my blood settle from anger and I refuse to be mad at her. Unless she set this up a week ago and didn't tell me about it, then it would be a problem.

                                          •🧩•

I drive to Josh's house after my chat with Riley, using my family's van. I go up to the front door and knock. His dad opens the door.

"You know, Maya. You don't have to knock to come into this house. You are the love of Josh's life and my granddaughter's best friend. You're family." He says.

I smile.

"Thanks, Mr. Matthews." I say. He nods. I see Amy sitting at the table, drinking coffee.

"Hi Mrs. Matthews." I say. She smiles at me.

"Hi Maya. Looking for Josh?" She asks. I nod. "He's upstairs in his room." I nod and run upstairs and see Josh sitting at his bay window.

"Hi, handsome." I say. He looks up and smiles.

"Hey." He says. I sit down next to him and softly kiss him. We both pull away.

"Josh." I say.

"Yeah?" He says.

"What were you thinking about? Before I came in your room?" I ask.

"You." He says. "Nothing else."

"How are we gonna make this work?" I say, letting the truth out.

"What do you mean, Maya?" He asks.

"Our relationship. You living all the way in Philadelphia and me living in New York." I say.

"I don't know." He says, shrugging.

"Me either." I say.

"Do you wanna get married?" He asks.

What did he just ask me?

"What?" I ask in shock.