Chapter Thirty-Four: Josh Matthews

I really hope Maya is doing well on her song. My phone rings.

"Josh Matthews speaking." I say. 

"Hi, Joshua Matthews? Your wife, Maya Matthews got into a car accident this afternoon while she was driving and—" I hang up the phone and head straight to the hospital.

                                             •🧩•

The doctor just told me everything and I'm standing in the middle of the hallway in shock. Why does everything bad always keep happening to us? Riley and Lucas come and Riley runs over to me and gives me a hug. She's crying.

"How's Maya? Is she okay? Can I go visit her? Is the baby okay?" She asks.

"Riley, calm down. They put her asleep, but she's conscious. And the baby's okay, too." I say.

"Josh, what is that face? What is it you're not telling me?" She asks. Lucas grabs her hand.

"While she was driving, she had a huge pain in her stomach. And it distracted her which caused her to blacken out and then the car accident ha—"

"So, what is it? What's going on?" She asks, interrupting me.

"Maya has this pregnancy problem called Placenta Previa." I say.

"What is that? What does that mean?" Riley asks. I sigh.

"It means she runs the risks of hemorrhaging during her pregnancy or during the delivery." I say.

"So, everything's going to be fine with her and the baby, then?" Lucas asks.

"If everything goes perfectly well, then, yes." I say.

"And if it doesn't?" Riley asks. I swallow hard on this one.

"Then we could lose her. And the baby." I say.

Riley starts crying into Lucas's chest and I leave them behind. I walk into Maya's room and sit down beside her bed. I grab her hand and kiss it. "Hey, Sleeping Beauty. I miss you. I just can't believe this is happening to you. To us. We were having hope so high for this and you were on your way to do something incredible and then this happens. I just don't understand. Why does the universe have to be so cruel?" I start crying in her hand.