11~ Bro Code

Ashton still isn't talking to me.

It's Wednesday and nothing. No words had been spoken between us. He still sits next to me in class and eats lunch with us but we don't speak. I'm invisible. It's making me go insane. I don't enjoy relying on another person, needing to have them in my life. To talk to them. I've taught myself to rely on no one and only count on my siblings to be in my life.

But, like everything else, it's different with Ashton. I feel incomplete without his constant annoyance in my life.

It's terrible.

I spot Avery walking down the hall with her little group of wanna be's. Unsurprisingly, she's taken the break up in stride. Not letting anyone think she was bothered but her tear soaked face at practice Monday gave her away. Watching as she struts down the hallway, her eyes linger on James and I know she's still upset.

She didn't love James. She loved his popularity. A terrible reason to be with someone but that's just who she is. As for James and Stella, nothing's happened yet. They have a Snapchat streak and talk constantly but no relationship.

It's infuriating to watch her blush constantly at her phone but avoid his eyes in the hallway. Yesterday Sage brought James to our lockers before first period in the hopes of them talking. Nothing happened. Instead they stared at each other, blushing like a pair of idiots. Stella even shut her shirt in her locker door, too focused on James standing next to her.

It's painful to watch honestly.

However, progress has been made since then. At lunch Stella and James walk into the cafe together, smiling and talking before they go their separate ways. Ella leans back into her seat, clearly annoyed with the lack of progress, that makes two of us. People, can we please get over the friendship phase?

She slumps into her chair with a defeated sigh, we eye her with pity. "I don't know guys, maybe he isn't that into me."

Surprisingly, before Ella or I can comfort her, Ashton chimes in. "Don't worry about it, Stella, the boy likes you."

Oh, so he speaks now.

She looks at him with a new found hope, "Really, how do you know that?"

Ashton glances over at Sage, who's shaking his head. "You're literally all he talks about. When we're getting ready for practice. Before games. During gym."

We all look over at Sage for confirmation. He squirms uncomfortably, "It's true." He uses finger quotations. "Stella didn't wear black today. Never mind she's wearing a choker. Did you see Stella cheering Friday night? She was awesome! Blah blah blah."

He lets out an agitated grunt, switching back to his normal voice. "Do you know how annoying it gets? I've been friends with you since I was seven. I don't need a play by play of your day or hear how amazing you are."

Her face morphs from shock to fury, reaching over to punch Sage in the arm. Repeatedly. "And you didn't think to tell me earlier!"

Sage glares at Ashton. "Well, normally we keep these conversations private. It's bro code."

Wow. Bro code. I've never heard a sentence sound that douchey.

Stella punches him again. "Best friends trump the bro code you idiot."

Sage opens his mouth to argue but Ella cuts him off. Nothing he possibly wants say will help the situation, my brother has a special talent for accidentally insulting people.

"So why hasn't he done anything about it?" She demands, completely bewildered.

Ashton snorts. "No offense, Stella, but you're kinda scary. You wear black and tend to yell. A lot. He's afraid you'd say no."