Chapter 10

Relocation day!!

Hakguk's pov

2 weeks later

I walked into the lab with bacon in my mouth since Grace rushed us in this morning. "What's going on?" Norm asks. "Oh just a little spy from within has been reporting to Selfridge." I finish my bacon then I wipe my hands on my pants. "Wait so Jake really has been giving them intel?" Grace nods with a look of anger on her face.

"I'm not about to let Quaritch and Selfridge micro-manage this thing.We're going up into the mountains.." Jake enters and we all quiet down a bit. She looks over at Jake pointedly, so much for discretion. "There's a mobile link up at Site 26 that we can work out of." She packs up a few things and hands then to Max.

"The Hallelujah Mountains?" Norm asks and soon I look over excitedly. She sees out expressions and smiles. "That's right." I high five Norm and we do a little happy dance. Jake looks at us weirdly but I am in no mood to talk to him. "The legendary mountains of Pandora? Heard of them?" Norm answers in a snooty like tone.

In the helicopter

Norm is seated up front with Trudy while the rest of us sit at the back. We fly over the dense rainforest and I still can't help but be in awe. "Grace do you have a camera?" She rummages through her bag and hands me a Polaroid. I smile at her then I take a picture of the forest. Since Jake isn't doing anything I hand him the picture the camera spits out. "Shake it like a salt shaker." He raises an eyebrow but does as he is told.

"See these magnetic formations? We are getting close." Grace points at an image on her computer. I look over and gasp. "Yeah we are look at my instruments!" I glance over then I begin to feel real excited. On trudy's dash many of the radars and instruments were glitching out. "So we must be in the flux vortex no?" I ask Grace. She looks at her computer then she nods at me. "Yeah we are in the flux vortex."

Ahead of us a cloud parts revealing the hallelujah mountains. "Oh my god." Norm mutters with his mouth agape. I grab the camera and take a picture.
enormous islands of rock are hovering a half mile above the ground. They are overgrown with rainforest,and straggly beards of vines hang down beneath them.Waterfalls stream down the sides and dissolve into spray at the bottom.

Trudy looks over a Jake then at myself. "Aw man you should see your faces." I glance at Jake and snap a pic of his face and Norm's.

"Hey how are the damn mountains floating!?" Jake asks in awe. I look around a bit. "I'm assuming is the unobtanium no? Since this world is full of it I am assuming it's a superconductor like a maglev effect!" I answer. Grace points to me and nods. Jake smiles and nods but I know he didn't understand a single word I said. Maybe each word individually he did but not all together.

Later that night in Jake's video log

"Yeah, so what does hold them up? Hakguk explained it to me -- some kind of maglev effect because unobtanium is a superconductor, or something. At least somebody understands it. Just not me." I simply nod.

"Called it."

Back to the present.

We arrive at a remote research station -- Two shacks and a few clusters of instruments perched on a promontory near the Hallelujah Mountains. The shacks are airlift modules the size of buses.

The Samson lands, beating the grass with its rotor-wash. We all hop out, wearing exo packs.We move toward the Shack, I myself take my time to take in the spectacular panorama.